uima message

Subject: UIMA TC Telecon REMINDER -- February 15 2008

Hi All,

We are on for a telecon tomorrow at 11 - 12:30 EST

Agenda
=======

1. Note Ballot for publishing the Specification Summary has been open -- please vote.

2. Request Comments on modifications made to updated specification draft attached below

Draft Notes

This is still a DRAFT and very much a work in progress. Quite a few "to dos"

For each specification element  that carries specific compliance points we created a  "Formal Specification" section that succinctly states what the specification is,  setting it apart from descriptions, examples and other documentation explaining the specification or how to apply it.  We intend that all  "compliance points" for  previous draft  will be better represented as statements in the "formal specification" sections. This has been done in the attach draft for most of them -- there is still some work to do.

The Base Type System, as discussed, does not have a "Formal Specification" section since it just defined a simple type system that we intend for the community to adopt. We can include the XML for the Base Type System in the appendix.

The Abstract Interface section does not have a "Formal Specification" subsection,  as we  have not identified a mechanism for constraining an arbitrary implementation. We would like to say  that a UIMA analytic must implement these operations by, for example, requiring that there is some way to get the results they provide -- like the PE Metadata, or an updated CAS -- and if these operations were not provided then the analytic would not be compliant at that level.  Currently without a language tied to a specific binding, we are not sure how to accomplish that. In the WSDL section, however,  we use WSDL exactly for this purpose -- as a formalism to specify SOAP bindings for each of the abstract interfaces. We wonder if this is sufficient.

3. Review status of other spec writers -- Eric and Thomas

Conference Access:

US Toll free: 1-866-398-2885
US Toll: 1-719-457-6209
Passcode: 125054

Local Numbers Outside US
Local - Germany, Frankfurt: +49 (0) 69 36507 2086
Local - UK, London: +44 (0) 20 7663 2216
Local - Japan, Tokyo: +81 (0) 3 4455 1256
Local - France, Paris: +33 (0) 1 73 04 14 06
Local - Singapore: +65 6419 3726

Adam Lally
Senior Software Engineer
Semantic Analysis & Integration