uima message

Subject: Re: [uima] UIMA TC Final Comments

In general I think I agree with Carl.

With some reorganization we can focus the "Formal Specification" in a single section and refer to motivation and examples elsewhere in the document.

I'll also suggest that an overarching example that motivates the main elements of the spec but that does not require a detailed understanding, also be called out.

Both these suggestions are intended to make the document more digestible. The first,  for someone who is technical and wants to quickly grok the scope and nature of the formal specification. The second for a more casual reader who wants to understand why they are even voting for this standard to exist.

-Dave

David A. Ferrucci, PhD
Senior Manager, Semantic Analysis & Integration
Chief Architect,  UIMA
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532
Tel: 914-784-7847, 8/863-7847
ferrucci@us.ibm.com
http://www.ibm.com/research/uima

"carl mattocks" <carlmattocks@gmail.com>

05/05/2008 06:27 PM

David Ferrucci/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
uima@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [uima] UIMA TC Final Comments

David, Adam, et al:

The draft document is large in both quality and quantity  that provides a wonderfully informative read . However, I think it would benefit from some restructuring (into another appendix ??) that would help the reader quickly identify the Formal Specification [list of precise requirements that UIMA implementations must satisfy in order to comply with this standard].

The areas that would provide the highest ROI have the same characteristics (i) a very lengthy Element introduction (ii) a relatively small Formal Specification.

E: CAS 201-449 + FS 451-464

E: TYPE SYSTEM 465-589 + FS 590-600

E: ANNOTATION & SOFA 630-849   +  FS 850-855

There is also an opportunity to expand on PRIMITIVE TYPES  which do not seem to be obviously referenced in any of the later (element) examples.

cheers

carl