uiml-comment message

Subject: Re: [uiml-comment] FQID when "cascade" is specified

Mr. Endoh,

Thank you for your comments.  We will update the specification to
clarify the case you pointed out.

Your comments actually reveal another issue that is a bit more
complex.  Currently there is a confusion between the idea of a
physical document and a "virtual" or "in-memory" document.  For
example, a physical document would be a single file, while a "virtual"
or "in-memory" document consists of those UIML fragments that have
been parsed and incorporated in to the virtual UI tree (which includes
_sourced_ templates).  This leads to the situation where a template
can be in the same physical document as the rest of the UIML (in the
same file), but not in the same virtual document (the template is
never sourced).  This issue must be clarified in the specification to
make clear where ids must be unique.

Personally, I think that ids should be unique within the virtual
document, thus allowing ids in a single physical document to overlap.
This would allow authors to create a single UIML file that contained a
structure and a template defined with the appropriate ids to allow the
template to cascade correctly on the structure.

Regards,
Jim