uiml message

Subject: References discussed during call

Hello all,

Kris asked that one of us forward his references to the list, so I have added mine here and done so.

Enjoy!

The following article gives a great description of the levels of abstraction and process needed to take a model based UI through to deployment.  Hopefully you will find it helpful.

Marucci, L., Paterno, F., and Santoro, C. "Supporting Interactions with Muktiple Platforms Through User Task Models".  In _Multiple User Interfaces: Cross-Platform Applications and Context-Aware Interfaces_  eds. A. Seffah and H. Javahery.  John Wiley & Sons, LTD. 2004. pp 217-38.

James Helms

Director of Services
Harmonia, Inc
Phone: (540)  951-5900 ext 6

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Luyten [mailto:kris.luyten@luc.ac.be]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 2:48 PM
To: Marc Abrams; James Helms

Dear Marc, Jim,

here are the references we talked about earlier during the UIML
conference call. Can you forward them to the TC list? I remember I was
unable to email to the list last time.

- Working group on User Interface Engineering (bridging the gap between
SE and HCI):
http://www.se-hci.org/
http://www.se-hci.org/bridging/

- The paper "A Model-Based Interface Development Environment", Angel
Puerta, IEEE journal, 1997,
http://csdl.computer.org/comp/mags/so/1997/04/s4040abs.htm or
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=625739&dl=ACM&coll=portal. This
paper provides a nice overview over the different models in model-based
User Interface Development.

(A more advanced overview of different MBUID tools can be found in the
survey; "User Interface Declarative Models and Development Environments:
A Survey, Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, DSVIS 2000",
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/pp/papers/PinheirodaSilva_DSVIS_2000.pdf)

- A nice introduction into model-based UI design, task analysis and
design is provided in the book of Fabio Paterno; " Model-Based Design
and Evaluation of Interactive Applications":
http://giove.cnuce.cnr.it/~fabio/mbde.html

- Gracefull degradation of user interfaces: "Florins M. and Vanderdonckt
J., Graceful Degradation of User Interfaces as a Design Method for
Multiplatform Systems";
http://www.isys.ucl.ac.be/bchi/publications/2004/Florins-IUI2004.pdf

- An overview over Constraint-Based Layout management methodologies:
"Simon Lok and Steven Feiner. A Survey of Automated Layout Techniques
for Information Presentations. Proceedings of the 2001 SmartGraphics
Symposium (SG2001), March 2001.",
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/%7Elok/papers/layoutsurvey.pdf

We have also some work about how to get the dialog model out of the task
model, but I am the first one to admit this is on a rather "academic"
level :-) :
Generating Context-Sensitive Multiple Device Interfaces from Design
Tim Clerckx, Kris Luyten and Karin Coninx,
http://research.edm.luc.ac.be/~kris/research/publications/cadui2004/clerckxluyten-cadui2004.pdf
and
Derivation of a Dialog Model from a Task Model by Activity Chain
Extraction,
Kris Luyten, Tim Clerckx, Karin Coninx and Jean Vanderdonckt,
http://research.edm.luc.ac.be/~kris/research/publications/dsvis2003/luytenclerckx-dsvis2003.pdf

A lot of things we discussed during the call can also be found in the
submitted (and accepted) papers for our workshop.

Regards,
Kris
--
Kris Luyten
Expertisecentrum Digitale Media - Limburgs Universitair Centrum