uiml message

Subject: RE: [uiml] Groups - OASIS UIML TC Teleconference modified

Kris,

Would a day other than the Monday of that week work?  For instance, could we meet on Wednesday the 29th?

Thanks!

James Helms
Director of Research and Development
Harmonia, Inc.

Phone: (540) 951-5900 ext 3
Cell: (540) 558-9722

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Luyten [mailto:kris.luyten@luc.ac.be]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 5:18 PM
To: James Helms
Cc: uiml@lists.oasis-open.org; Robbie Schaefer

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 10:38 -0400, James Helms wrote:
> I have no problem pushing back the date a week.

I'm away for a project meeting at the 27th of june.

<snip />
<snip />
> I just read the minutes and wondered about the relationship of other UML
> Models
> to UIML, e.g. statecharts to the behavioral part. (Also interesting to
> investigate
> with DISL but no time to do it yet).
> The discussions of the next audio conference would be very interesting for
> me.
> I am curious how the transformations are done with LiquidUI, assuming that
> they are not based on UIML-peers.

I share Robbie's interest in this topic.

I am wondering how our discussions can be materialized however:
currently we are using UIML for a couple of projects (I'll try to upload
some examples soon) and it would be useful to have some agreement on
what direction the specification will take so we can make sure our code
base evolves according to the standard. A general and usable approach
for doing abstract to concrete transformations is certainly an issue
that would be nice to include in the UIML standard. For the behavior
part, there is still the issue of the difficult match between
"application logic" and user interface (cfr. the "connect" method that
is used in uiml.net to make the connection between the user interface
and an object oriented program. The purpose of this method is to
overcome the problem of connecting object instances with UIML interface
parts). Robbie: I wonder whether there are some examples that show how a
DISL interface can be connected with application logic that is contained
in "normal" Java classes?

> BTW: I am at the HCII in Las Vegas and noticed that some of you may be
> there as well, so it might be a nice opportunity to discuss UIML.

We should have organized a UIML BOF meeting there ;-).

Regards,
Kris
--
Dr. Kris Luyten
Expertisecentrum Digitale Media - Hasselt University