uiml message

Subject: Re: [uiml] Summary of issues raised by Takashi Endo and suggested UIML 4.0 changes

Dear Jim and all,

> Recently we have received some feedback from Mr. Takashi Endo on UIML

Yes, this kind of feedback is really helpful.

> 1) The id attribute is used to both declare a <variable> and to
> reference it other places in the document.  This leads to an id
> conflict.
>
> Suggested change: add an attribute to <variable> called "id-ref" that
> is used to reference a variable after it is declared.

We had thought of this when designing DISL and the current sulution in the
UIML-DTD is that we have an additional attribute for the variable which
specifies wether it is used as a declaration or as a reference: reference
(true|false) "true".

However if all agree that id-ref is the more proper/consitent solution
(since it is used in other UIML-elements in the same fashion) I could go
through the relevant parts in the spec and change the examples and
explanations.

The point in favor of the "reference"-Attribute is that it is implicitly set
true, so that only once, for the declaration, a variable needs to state the
reference attribute, which IMHO adds to the readability of the
UIML-document.

Anyway, I am open to both options.

All the best,
Robbie.
--
   _/ Dr. Robbie Schaefer        _/ Phone: +49 5251 60-6107  _/
  _/ Visual Interactive Systems _/ Fax: +49 5251 60-6065    _/