unitsml message

Subject: UnitsML as a Standard

I may be naive but it seems to me that a markup language standard for units does not need anything more than NIST behind it to be successful (the same with MatML).  If the process/procedures for getting them approved through OASIS or ISO are onerous, then they will not come out as specifications for a long time and that helps no one.  NIST is a standards organization, why can't that include ML specifications pertinent to the science that's done there?