unitsml message

Subject: Re: [unitsml] UnitsML as a Standard

All,

   This sometimes comes as a surprise to people that
are not familiar with NIST, but NIST is not a standards
organization (at least not in the traditional sense).
NIST does many things that support standards (e.g.,
reference materials and calibrations which support
the SI system of measures) but publishes very few
documentary standards. More information on NIST's
relationship with the standards community can be found
here:

  http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/standards.htm#Documentary

For this reason it is essential that NIST work with
third parties like OASIS and ISO to help establish
standards which benefit the U.S. economy.

Peter

Peter J. Linstrom
NIST, Physical and Chemical Properties Division
Phone: (301) 975-5422