unitsml message

Subject: Attribute candidates for becoming 'xml:id'

Hi all,
(& hi CC Robin Barker)

this message is intended to be part of the asynchronous portion of the
TC meeting.

As I announced in the meeting.. this is the list of attributes that
would be candidates to being renamed to xml:id and thus get the
meaning of an 'ID' even for non-validating xml processors and/or
processors who do not have/want access to the schema.

Attributes of type xsd:ID :
-> can be modeled by <xsd:attribute ref="xml:id" use="required" /> instead.

- Unit/@unitID
- CountedItem/@itemID
- Quantity/@quantityID
- Dimension/@dimensionID

I think all of these are save to be renamed to xml:id, even tho we
lose the somewhat "nicer" name. The ability to find instances of these
things in a document even with the most shallow processor weighs that
up I think. Comments?

Attributes of type xsd:token but name ID :

-> can be modeled by <xsd:attribute ref="xml:id" use="optional" /> instead.

- Float64ConversionFrom/@ID
- SpecialConversionFrom/@ID
- WSDLConversionFrom/@ID

Hmm I don't see why those shouldn't be renamed, too. Comments?

Attributes of name ID (but undeclared type) :

- DimensionChoiceType/@ID (DimensionChoiceType seems at the moment unused)

What about that?

Peter, you were mentioning that we might not want to rename some of
the attributes that act as identifiers. Which of the above list are
these?

Regards,

-Martin