unitsml message

Subject: UnitsML: Additional discussion for October meeting

All,

    This message is part of the asynchronous discussion
for the October UnitsML TC meeting.

    During this meeting the idea of switching element
ids to type xml:id was briefly discussed. These attributes
are currently defined locally in the schema and are
restricted to content of type xsd:token. The advantage of
switching to xml:id is that generic tools could more
readily access components of a UnitsML document. However,
there are some potential issues to be considered before
making such a change:

1.) Would the restrictions of xsd:id invalidate some
    identifiers. I don't have a reference on this handy,
    but I'm pretty sure that xsd:id is more restrictive
    than xsd:token. Would some logical choices for IDs
    (codes) be invalidated by this change? I suspect that
    many applications will "use" UnitsML simply by recording
    the ID string for a unit in a database, so there is
    and incentive to use meaningful strings. This issue
    should be considered before making a change.

2.) Using xml:id would force all ID strings to be unique
    in a document. In general this is probably a good
    thing, but we probably should consider that in some
    cases people give the same name to units and the
    quantities they represent.

3.) It appears that use of xml:id can break Canonical XML:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/C14N-issues/#S3

    I don't think this is that big of an issue for UnitsML,
    except that XML Signature uses Canonical XML. This
    *might* be an issue since UnitsML will likely be included
    into other markup languages (which might want to use
    XML signature).

   I don't know what the UBL naming and design rules
say (if anything) about xml:id; it would be interesting
to see if they address this issue.

Peter Linstrom

Peter J. Linstrom
NIST, Chemical and Biochemical Reference Data Division
Phone: (301) 975-5422