unitsml message

Subject: Contribution for asynchronous portion of UnitsML meeting.

All,

    This message is intended to be part
of the December UnitsML TC meeting.

    During our teleconference on Wednesday we
discussed the idea that enumerated unit codes
for units used primarily in the U.S. (or defined
by U.S. institutions) should be appropriately
prefixed. I have gone through the list and
added the prefix "us_" to such units. This
resulted in the following changes:

U.S. Length and area units
survey_inch    -> us_survey_inch
survey_foot    -> us_survey_foot
survey_yard    -> us_survey_yard
survey_fathom  -> us_survey_fathom
survey_rod     -> us_survey_rod
survey_chain   -> us_survey_chain
survey_link    -> us_survey_link
survey_furlong -> us_survey_furlong
survey_mile    -> us_survey_mile
acre           -> us_acre

U.S. volume units
gallon      -> us_gallon
quart       -> us_quart
pint        -> us_pint
cup         -> us_cup
fill        -> us_fill
fluid_ounce -> us_fluid_ounce
fluid_dram  -> us_fluid_dram
minim       -> us_minim
tablespoon  -> us_tablespoon
teaspoon    -> us_teaspoon
bushel      -> us_bushel
peck        -> us_peck
dry_quart   -> us_dry_quart
dry_pint    -> us_dry_pint

U.S. FDA label units
label_teaspoon    -> us_label_teaspoon
label_tablespoon  -> us_label_tablespoon
label_cup         -> us_label_cup
label_fluid_ounce -> us_label_fluid_ounce
label_ounce       -> us_label_ounce

   These changes should also be made in the UnitsML
Schema.

   I have attached a spreadsheet in ODF and Excel
format which contains these updates.

   During our meeting there was some discussion
that there might be an error in the definitions
of teaspoon, tablespoon, and cup in this spreadsheet.
I could not find any such errors, but would welcome
any report of specific errors. Please note that
the FDA defines their own versions of these units
which are rounded to even values of SI units.

Peter Linstrom

Peter J. Linstrom
NIST, Chemical and Biochemical Reference Data Division
Phone: (301) 975-5422