unitsml message

Subject: UnitsML: Information regrading AnIML

All,

   During the April teleconference I noted that
I would check on two things from the AnIML project.
Here are the results:

1.) Use of containers which only contain one
    type of child element.

    I have found three cases where this is done
    in the current AnIML draft. In all cases it
    was possible that there could be a large
    number of child elements, so one could readily
    see the justification for the container.

    It is my opionion that the use of containers
    which contain only one type of child is
    reasonable in UnitsML since these containers
    help organize the data and allow for future
    additions.

2.) Determine the technology used to generate
    documentation from the schema.

    The AnIML project was originally planning
    to use a tool which generates documentation
    based on the comment format used by Altova's
    XMLSpy program. Recently there has been
    concern that this format is not a standard
    and the AnIML developers are looking at
    other possible solutions. Unfortunately it
    appears the XML schema does not define a
    standard for structured documentation.

Peter

Peter J. Linstrom
NIST, Chemical and Biochemical Reference Data Division
Phone: (301) 975-5422