unitsml message

Subject: Sample UnitsML "lite" documentation

You can see (in the attachment) the output from the stylesheet on our lite
schema. You will see it's ugly still (easily fixed) and I noticed there's a
bug in it, too but that shouldn't be hard to fix. What we're lacking is the
following structure in our annotations: (all optional)

(xsd:documentation)
  plain text describing the element
  (xsd:clarification)
   further (if necessary) clarification(s) for usage
   of this element
  (/xsd:clarification)
  (xsd:example)
   an example of its usage
  (/xsd:example)
  (xsd:exampletext)
   description of the example
  (xsd:exampletext)

You'll notice the prefix "xsd:", which was chosen arbitrarily for the
clarification and example elements. Actually the W3C XML Schema does not
declare those but inside the documentation we're having xsd:any content with
lax processing so could stick to that.

You'll finally notice (when looking at the attachment) that this is pretty
bare-bones element information. The contained information will probably grow a
bit as the stylesheet still gets evolved; also with examples etc the
information will grow, too. But to give you an idea of the size-comparison,
the current "lite" documentation prints out in 64 pages for me (all standard
settings, printed from firefox) while the attached information prints out in 5
(yes, five) pages for me. Even if we add ten (unrealistic for the lite)
handwritten pages that's still a factor of 1/4. I expect the final "lite"
"tutorial/documentation" including element lookup table and extensive example
to be less than 10 pages though.

-Martin
Title: AnIML Core-Schema Documentation

Documentation

<Element>/Attributes Type Definition <ImmediateChildElements> or Allowed Values Modality Clarification Example
<AmountOfSubstance> AmountOfSubstanceType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity amount of substance.

This clarifies everything. see example #1
powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity amount of substance.

optional
<Dimension> DimensionType

Element to express the dimension of a unit or quantity in terms of the SI base quantities length, mass, time, electric current, thermodynamic temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity.

<Length> (0...1), <Mass> (0...1), <Time> (0...1), <ElectricCurrent> (0...1), <ThermodynamicTemperature> (0...1), <AmountOfSubstance> (0...1), <LuminousIntensity> (0...1)

required
dimensionless
xsd:boolean

Boolean to designate that a quantity or unit is dimensionless.

optional
<DimensionSet> DimensionSetType

Container for dimensions.

<Dimension> (1...inf)

<ElectricCurrent> ElectricCurrentType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity electric current.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity electric current.

optional
<EnumeratedRootUnit> EnumeratedRootUnitType

Element for a root unit (from an extensive enumerated list) allowing an optional prefix and power. E.g., mm^2

sourceURL
xsd:anyURI

Relevant URL for available information.

optional
prefix

Prefix identifier; e.g., m, k, M, G. [Enumeration order is by prefix magnitude (Y to y) followed by binary prefixes.]

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
unit

Unit identifier; the enumerated list is basically English unit names in lowercase, with a few upper case exceptions, e.g., 32F, mmHg, pH.

required
<Length> LengthType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity length.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity length.

optional
<LuminousIntensity> LuminousIntensityType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity luminous intensity.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity luminous intensity.

optional
<Mass> MassType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity mass.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity mass.

optional
<RootUnits> RootUnitsType

Container for defining derived units in terms of their root units. This allows a precise definition of a wide range of units. The goal is to improve interoperability among applications and databases which use derived units based on commonly encountered root units.

<EnumeratedRootUnit> (0...inf)

<ThermodynamicTemperature> ThermodynamicTemperatureType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity thermodynamic temerature.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity thermodynamic temperature.

optional
<Time> TimeType

Element containing the dimension of the quantity time.

powerNumerator
xsd:byte

An integer exponent of the unit.

optional
symbol
xsd:token

Symbol of the quantity time.

optional
<Unit> UnitType

Element for describing units. Use in containers UnitSet or directly incorporate into a host schema.

<UnitName> (1...inf), <UnitSymbol> (0...inf), <RootUnits> (0...1)

dimensionURL
xsd:anyURI

URL to a representation of the unit or quantity in terms of the 7 SI base dimensions.

required
<UnitName> NameType

Element containing the unit name.

<UnitSet> UnitSetType

Container for units. Use in UnitsML container or directly incorporate into a host schema.

<Unit> (1...inf)

<UnitSymbol> SymbolType

Element containing various unit symbols. Examples include Aring (ASCII), Å (HTML).

type

Type of symbol representation. Examples include ASCII, unicode, HTML, and MathML.

required
<UnitsML> UnitsMLType

Container for UnitsML units, quantities, and prefixes.

<UnitSet> (0...1), <DimensionSet> (0...1)

Examples for Elements

Example #1

					<AmountOfSubstance powerNumerator="2"/>

This examples shows how to work with squared moles.

Simple Types

Type Name Base Type Definition
xsd:token This part here still needs work
xsd:token