unitsml message

Subject: units to consider for Enumerated Root Unit list

Dear colleagues,

This is part of the asynchronous UnitsML TC meeting that continues until 5:00 pm, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. Since I'm the chair of the committee, I cannot make a motion. If someone deems it appropriate, please make a motion during this asynchronous portion of the meeting.

The units below came from a list of the most common 500 units from the Wolfram|Alpha website interface. I was hoping to distill the list down more, but have run out of time. [I will be out of the office until Monday, August 29 (and maybe later if Hurricane Irene delays my return).]

I think most of these units can be ignored, but we probably should at least consider modifying the root unit list, particularly for the 'pound', which is ambiguous.

It might work well for someone to trim the list considerably and then continue the email conversation using the reduced list.

I have included some units from the Root Unit list, labelled (eru: xxx).

Comment: In the Enumerated Root Unit (eru) list, we have many "us_xxx" units.
We have only 5 imperial units: gallon, gill, ounce, pint & quart.
Should we add more "imperial_xxx" units?

Thanks for considering this request,
Bob

List of Units
absolute magnitude
apparent magnitude
amino acid
Avogadro constant value
Avogadro number value
Bohr magneton
Bohr radius
Boltzmann constant unit
character units
classical electron radius
conversion
module
angular degree	(eru: arc_degree)
	grad	(eru: gon)
British pound	(eru: pound, troy_pound)
atmosphere	(eru: technical_atmosphere)
atomic mass units chemical
barrel
barrel of oil	(eru: petro_barrel)
baud
brake horsepower
horsepower mechanical
	(eru: boiler_horsepower,
	horsepower,
	electric_horsepower,
	metric_horsepower,
	uk_horsepower,
	water_horsepower)
butt us
century
cubit
dalton (or unified atomic mass unit)
decibel (dB)
decibel m (dBm)
decibel spl (dB sound pressure level)
decibel w (DB)
degree Smurdley
diopter
dirac
dots per inch (dpi)
dozen (dz)
emu of charge
equivalents (eq)
esu of charge
esu of potential difference
faraday
fathom
franklin
furlong
gold ounce
Greek stadion
hand
hin
hour of right ascension
dietary Calorie
jansky (Jy)
Julian year
	(eru: sidereal_year,
	tropical_year, year_365)
league
leap year
leo
light hour
light minute
light second
mach speed
mass percent
mesopotamian load
metabolic equivalent
metric drop
mil
molar
month
parts per million (ppm)
percent
phon
pond
Danish pot
proof
pyeong
quadrant
revolution (or rotation)
rod
solar luminosity (& solar mass, solar radii)
span
standard
stone
volume percent