uoml-x-comment message

Subject: RE: [uoml-x-comment] Section 1.1 rfc2119 Reference - addition

Hello Pine,

Thank you for the updated documents.  I will examine them later today
(gmt-0700 in Seattle).

Three things I notice:

1. Filtering of PDF files by uoml-x-comment list service.
   1.1 Symptoms: I received both .pdf and .odt attachments in the e-mail
copy that I received directly.  In the copy of your e-mail that I received
from the uoml-x-comment list, there is only the .odt file.  Apparently the
uoml-x-comment list server removes PDF files.  Also, the
   1.2 Recommendation: Use Zip files as containers for attachments that are
sent via the list.  Although the service may report that the file has been
filtered, it has not.  It is also stored on the list server with the correct
file extension.

2. List server uses incorrect file extensions and MIME types.
   2.1 Symptoms: The uoml-x-comment list archive will store some files that
it accepts in posts with incorrect file-name extensions and MIME types.  See
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uoml-x-comment/200810/msg00002.html
and scroll down to the bottom.  The link for uoml-part1-v1.0-cs01.odt is
correct on the web page, but the URL is actually
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uoml-x-comment/200810/bin00000.bin).
This interferes with correct download and also worries people who see an
unrecognizable attachment format.
   2.2 Recommendation: Use Zip files as containers for all attachments.
Although the name is changed in the URL on the archive (e.g., to
zip00000.zip), it will have the correct file-name extension.  It will also
be correctly included as an attachment in forwarding of the post to list
subscribers.

3. Need for Change Management and Change Control

   3.1 I am not sure what the precise rules are.  You may need more-formal
change management of Committee Specifications and OASIS Standard
specifications now that there has been a ballot for OASIS Standard UOML
Part1-v1.0.
   3.2 Mary McRae may have suggestions about this.
   3.3 Depending on the advice from Mary McRae, you might need to have a TC
Meeting to create the appropriate Change Management and Errata Control.
   3.4 Even for Editorial changes, I would track the creation of
modifications even though they are entirely non-substantive.  This
establishes an accountability foundation.  It develops change-management
practices on easy cases first.  I think of it as the "Hello World" of
change-management initiation.  It is valuable to put this in place at this
time, especially if you hope to take UOML to ISO and continue to evolve the
specification with synchronized ISO submissions.
   3.5 I think you also may need to start managing the processing of
uoml-x-comment submissions in some systematic manner.  I recommend having
Mary McRae's guidance on this as well.

And thank you for your efforts and direct response.  Is the September 29 -
October 5 National Holiday a special time of celebration?

 - Dennis

PS: This is a new experience for me and I do not know the precise details of
OASIS procedures.  I hope that I am being helpful even so.

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org