uoml-x-comment message

Subject: Committee Specification .odt in Beta Format

This comment applies to
uoml-part1-v1.0-cs01.odt overall document

I downloaded this file from the location provided in the Call for Vote:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uoml-x/200809/msg00002.html

DEFECT:

The document as it is currently posted is once-again coded as being in ODF 1.2 format.  It is produced by a version of OpenOffice.org that is not warranted for production use.

Attempting to open the document in an ODF 1.1-supporting version of OpenOffice.org produces warning messages.  There are also defects in the rendering of the document that may be a result of errors in the software that was used.

SUGGESTED REMEDY:

For the Committee Specification and any subsequent versions, including an OASIS Standard edition, use a version of OpenDocument-supporting software that produces ODF 1.0 or ODF 1.1 documents.  Do not use any software versions that claim to produce ODF 1.2 until ODF 1.2 achieves Committee Specification.

DETAILS:

1. The attached Zip file contains the message and the web pages that I encountered.  I am using OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 for Microsoft Windows (English version).

2. On opening the document, I received a warning that the document is produced in a later version and that an update is available.  (See UOML-1v1.0-cs1-2008-10-08-1759-ODT.png in the attached Zip.)

3. On choosing the "Update Now" option, I was led to this page:
http://odfnotify.services.openoffice.org/OOo2.4.1/notification.jsp?version=ODF1.2
(See UOML-1v1.0-cs1-2008-10-08-1800-ODT.mht in the attached Zip for a capture of that page is I saw it at this time.)

It suggests that one might attempt to use the document with an older version regardless, and it also links to the latest OpenOffice.org 3.0 page.

4. On going to the download for OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta (now Release Candidate 4), learned that this is the current version:
http://download.openoffice.org/680/?intcmp=1461
(See UOML-1v1.0-cs1-2008-10-08-1805-ODT.mht in the attached Zip for a capture of that page at the time I saw it.)

There is this statement about OpenOffice.org 3.0 Release Candidate 4:

"The software is not recommended for production deployment at this stage. There are no guarantees. For production, use our most recent stable version."

5. Although the OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 software will open the document, I can not determine whether the apparent defects are a consequence of the use of non-production software or not.  To eliminate that prospect, I suggest that production versions be used at every step of the document, from turnover by the TC to update of the front material by OASIS and production of the companion PDF edition.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

UOML1v1.0-2008-10-08-ODTcheck.zip