uoml-x message

Subject: Report to UOML-x TC on ISO.IEC JTC1 progress

This is an interim report to the UOML-X TC on our OASIS submission
arrangements with ISO/IEC JTC1, which you've asked to use for UOML v1.

Earlier this year, I reported to you about JTC1's wide-ranging
debates over how external submissions like the "PAS" submissions
from OASIS are handled.

Since then, the JTC1 leadership has asked us to visit with the
leaders of one relevant subcommittee, SC34, which we have done in a
series of meetings.  Alex Wang and I also confirmed with JTC1 that
JTC1 is likely to use SC34 as its expert subcommittee for handling a
UOML submission.

In our dialogue with the SC34 and JTC1 leaders, we worked out some
possible basic rules for future handling of all versions, errata,
and similar deliverables.  These areas were not previously clear.
Those recommendations are being provided both to JTC1 (who will act
to formally accept them in June or thereabouts).  Shortly, I expect
to hear back an official report from the just-completed SC34
meetings in Prague, where they were planning to endorse those
principles.  Unofficially, I believe they agreed. .

At the same time, we are working on the same issues with the OASIS
Board of Directors, who created a committee to review and revise our
own rules for these submissions.  Our work with that committee
should be done within a month, and I will report it to you.  It is
my hope that they will adopt the same basic  principles that JTC1
plans to recommend.  So far the two groups seem to be converging
nicely on common solutions.  The Board is considering what other
rules and requirements it wishes to apply, because our Liaison
Policy (covering external submissions) has not been reviewed for
several years.  We also should know shortly whether any other rules
or plans will come from that review.

We have a helpful draft from the committee leaders on the proposed
Submission Report.  I am separately sending a few questions about
that material to its authors.  Those issues also will be reported to
this committee shortly.

Thank you again for all of the work that you are contributing to
UOML and global open standards.

Kind regards  Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark