uoml-x message

Subject: FW: UOML proposed submission text, revised, for review

Dear TC members,

Below is the document that OASIS will submit to ISO/JTC1. If you have any
comments or questions, please reply ASAP. After we confirm these
information, OASIS willsubmit to ISO within this week.

-Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:23 AM
To: Alex Wang; 'Allison shi'; 'Laurent Liscia'

Attached is my revised draft of the Explanatory Report which serves as our
official "cover letter" for a PAS submission to JTC1.  Please confirm it's
OK.

Also, please note the proposed edits I have made to the UOML-X's official
submission request to OASIS, appended below after my signature.  The edits
are marked [[[in triple brackets]]], and are based on matters Alex asked me
to review or improve.

Here is the list of documents I expect us to submit to JTC1 formally:

Proposed submission package to JTC1 for UOML v1.0

A.  Separate letter to JTC1, cc SC34, advising JTC1 of the revisions to the
OASIS Liaison Policy, and noting that they conform to the discussions with
SC34 about maintenance.

B.  Cover list of UOML submission package contents

B1.  Explanatory Report

B2.  UOML v1.0 OASIS Standard in PDF Format
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/uoml-x/v1.0/os/uoml-part1-v1.0-os.pdf)

B3. UOML v1.0 OASIS Standard in ODF Format
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/uoml-x/v1.0/os/uoml-part1-v1.0-os.odt)

B4.  UOML Frequently Asked Questions (May 2009) [Needs to be posted to
website also]

B5.  Exemplar XML schemas that implement the specification
[http://docs.oasis-open.org/uoml-x/v1.0/os/uoml-schema-os.xsd]

B6.  Nonnormative examples of practical UOML instance [http://
www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/31049/UOML%20Sample.odt]

B7.  Copies of any patent claims along with a note confirming the license
available under the OASIS rules.

B8.  Copies of each of the 3 statements of use submitted by OASIS members at
the time UOML was voted as an OASIS Standard.

I believe the foregoing are a complete package.  Feel free to raise any
questions or additional concerns.

Kind regards . Jamie

---
> from	Alex Wang <alexwang@sursen.com>
> to	James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
> cc	allison shi <allison_shi@sursen.com>
> date	Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM
> subject	Written request for submission
>
> Jamie,
>
> Below is draft written request, where (e) need you fill in. You are
> free to make comments or modify it directly.
>
> -Alex
>
>                                Submission Request
>
> (a)  The name(s) of the submission requester(s) OASIS UOML-X TC
>
> (b)  The name of the intended receiving standards organization ISO/IEC
> JTC 1

[[[Suggest we propose to JTC1 that SC34 be used as the monitoring body]]]

> (c)  The intended status or outcome that the request seeks from the
> receiving organization's process; and a short description of the
> receiving organization's approval process, including estimated time
> required, stages of approval and who votes at each stage.
>
> We like to request ISO/IEC JTC 1’s approval for OASIS UOML-X TC’s
> specification UOML part 1 v1.0 to become an ISO standard.
>
> Following is a short description of ISO/IEC JTC 1’s approval process
> for PAS submitter:
>
> JTC1 accepts work from OASIS (and other "PAS" organizations) based on
> a written ‘explanatory report’ submission that OASIS provides. This
'report'
> attaches the submitted standard, but also provides some required
> information about OASIS and plans for the specification.
>
> When JTC1 receives a valid submission, the full committee holds a
> ballot -- usually by e-mail -- for 5 to 7 months. The voters are all
> the members of national body in JTC1/IEC. Each voting body can say
> “yes” or “no” or give a conditional vote. That last kind of vote means
> that the voter will vote "yes" only if specific proposed changes are made.
>
> Finally, if the vote total is sufficient, the PAS submission becomes
> an International Standard at the end of the ballot. If the “conditional”
> votes are required in order for the submission to be approved, JTC1
> asks a subcommittee or other group to hold a "ballot resolution
> meeting" to work out the differences
>
> (d)     An explanation of how the submission will benefit OASIS.
>
> Becoming ISO standard make OASIS standard more acceptable worldwide,
> especially in Europe and China. Since ODF has become ISO standard, the
> fact that more and more document standard of ISO comes from OASIS will
> increase the authority of OASIS in document industry.
>
> Furthermore, that UOML becomes ISO standard through OASIS’s PAS
> process will set up an excellent example in China, help Chinese
> government and industries recognize OASIS’s  authorized position in
> the world standard organizations. That way, can help OASIS to promote
itself in China.

> (e)     The expected licensing, copyright and other intellectual property
> terms that will be used by the receiving organization in regard to the
> submission.

[[[The only known claims against UOML-X TC's work, including UOML V 1.0,
come from TC members, all of which are committed under the OASIS IPR Policy
to provide royalty-free licenses to any implementer of UOML v1.0, on
request, as provided in the "RF on RAND Terms" Mode of the OASIS IPR
Policy.]]]

> (f)     A statement of the intended future plans for versioning and
> maintenance of the OASIS Standard and/or Approved Errata for that
> standard, and the expected roles of OASIS and the receiving
> organization.  This must include clear statements of the rules of the
> receiving organization applicable to maintenance of an approved
> submitted standard, and to future versions of that standard; any
> requirements regarding the submission of future versions; and a
> description of how OASIS and the submission requesters expect to comply
with those rules.

> UOML-X TC will continue to be active at OASIS, so that we will be able
> to rely on the TC experts, to discuss and react to any JTC1
> conversations about future versions of the standard.
> UOML-X TC will conduct the ongoing maintenance of the submitted
> specification, including the collection and promulgation of errata,
> implementation experience and possible feedback towards future
improvements.

> Any proposed changes, improvements, or corrections of defects or
> errata, generated by the JTC1 process should be re-presented to the
> OASIS Technical Committee for handling and approval

[[[, in a collaborative manner working
with JTC1 as provided in the recently-amended OASIS Liaison Policy's terms
for maintenance & future versions of approved submissions.]]]

> UOML-X TC will acknowledge receipt of
> all such comments received through the proper channels within 60 days;
> and the TC will evaluate those comments and provide a logged response,
> before official OASIS publication of the next Committee Specification
> version, for any new comments received 30 days prior to its OASIS
specification vote.

> The OASIS UOML-X TC proposes to remain active and drive growth of the
> specification. In doing so, the TC plan to bring future major versions
> of the specification, including each OASIS Standard version and
> interim maintenance revisions whenever feasible, submit to JTC1 for
> re-transposition or shared publication of errata, at appropriate
> stages of stability. The OASIS and JTC1 publications of any given
> version of the specification will be identical in all substantive and
> technical respects, so as not to disrupt or confuse users of the work,
> nor render their implementations non-interoperable.
>
> Besides doing the maintenance of specification UOML Part 1, OASIS
> UOML-X TC will develop another specification UOML Part 2, which
> includes security control functions. Whether or not to develop more
> potential parts, including extended operation such as navigation and
> thread, plug-ins, queries, and application collaborations have not been
decided by the OASIS UOML-X TC.

;

Proposed-JTC1-submission-UOML-draft5.odt