uoml-x message

Subject: JTC1 meeting

Dear members of the UOML-X TC:

We look forward to speaking with you, shortly, on the conference call with
Paul Cotton, who SC34 has designated as the BRM chairman for resolving
open comments and the final International Standard vote on your UOML v1
part 1 standard, which also is ISO/IEC DIS 14297.

As as you've discussed with several of us at your TC meetings, we must
satisfy both OASIS and JTC1 PAS rules in order to successfully
conclude the voting process.  JTC1's requirements are published in the
PAS rules, and
Mr. Cotton will be able to answer any questions tonight (US time).

Our own OASIS rules require that any changes to the OASIS Standard
can be made -- and can be given to JTC1 -- only using one of two paths
defined in our TC Process:  as an "Approved Errata" or a new
"OASIS Standard."  Questions about THOSE rules should be addressed
to my colleague, our Director of Standards and TC Administrator,
Mary McRae, at the upcoming meeting.

Let me offer a summary here, to show how the two sets of rules may combine.

Beginning in May, when the JTC1 vote was announced, your TC could choose
to take either of those two paths.  But one path takes a much longer time to
complete.  A new "OASIS Standard" requires several steps and reviews,
If by now, if that path has not been started, it might be difficult or
impossible to
complete in time for the September BRM.

An "Approved Errata" process can be completed in slightly more than a month,
if there are no later changes, and requires no OASIS member ballot.  So it
definitely could be possible to complete that approval, or be immediately
ready for it, before the BRM.

Also, if the BRM meeting requests more new changes, at the meeting, and the
TC wishes to consider them, it might be possible to respond by a new draft and
Approved Errata, approved after the BRM.  if that happens, the OASIS approval
process must conclude within the deadline by which the JTC1 BRM will accept
any confirmed changes.  We should talk with Mr. Cotton about this tonight.

However, please note the limit discussed last month:  ONLY changes that are
defined as NOT "Substantive Changes" in our OASIS TC Process may be made
by an Approved Errata vote.  This is because our members already approved the
original, and a bigger change would require them to re-consider it.
We must talk
also with Ms. McRae about that, so that your TC and its editors do not propose
the types of change which would make it impossible to get OASIS approval.

One more issue I wish to mention is format:   JTC1 rules permit a
first approved
PAS submission from OASIS to be placed in the OASIS format -- not reformatted
like JTC1's own produced standards.  So, we may also wish to discuss with you,
and your editors, how to minimize changes that are not needed for JTC1.

We look forward to speaking with you shortly.  Regards  JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark