uoml-x message

Subject: Using SVG in UOML

SVG is an important issue. When UOML is designed in 2005, SVG is too complicated and not popular, doesn't meet the principle of UOML "as simple as possible". But in 2011, SVG has become a part of HTML5, almost all of browser support SVG, it seems that SVG will be more popular than PDF in future.

I suggest that we can use SVG as an optional format for get page bitmap, although SVG is not a bitmap format. Thus the user of UOML can easily display/print the page by simply send it to browser.

Regarding using SVG to describe UOML graphics object, there are some problems:
1. Compatibility requirement. If we change to SVG description in new version, how to keep compatibility of old version standard?
2. SVG is a non-status page description language, while UOML adopts graphics status to follow PDF. Although it is convertible, but the graphics model of UOML will be changed significantly, the compatibility will be much harder.

It is possible to have more problems, what is your opinion?

I'd like to use existing standard as possible, but we must resolve above problems before we go.

-Alex