uoml-x message

Subject: Re: [uoml-x] Groups - UOML (Unstructured Operation Markup Language)Part 1 1.1 WD01 (UOML-X-Part1v1.1-wd01-rev02.doc) modified

Hi all,

I think we are going round in circles at the moment. The feedback WRT
the latest UOML draft is still too brief. I will need at least 1 or 2
detailed reviews to proceed towards a next revision.

As to the compatibility issues:
-------------------------------
1) SVG: I think we will loose compatibility with UOML Graphics Objects
in case we are introducing new SVG derived graphics objects, because we
have to add a new namespace to the SVG specification. As well, UOML
Graphics Objects are not 100% similar to SVG, RECT is a good example.

2) IDL: I do not think, that we are loosing compatibility with
introducing IDLs. These are just interface definitions. As far as I
understand it IDLs can be defined in a way, that the current XML
definitions will match them. But I'm no expert, I might be wrong.

As to the further proceeding:
-----------------------------
We have a very ambitious schedule, hence we *need decisions* how to
proceed *now* or we will be already in trouble to meet the first
milestone date, which is less than 2 months ahead.

Solutions to consider:
======================
1) Graphics Objects:
--------------------
We have --in my opinion-- the following 4 options:
a) Keep the UOML Graphics Objects as they are, just maturate and
stabilize the specification as it is.
b) As in a) and adding informative clauses how the UOML Graphics Objects
can be expressed in SVG.
c) Redefine the UOML Graphics Objects with a subset of SVG and
introducing a private SVG namespace for UOML.
d) As in C, but keeping the Graphics Objects within the UOML namespace,
only harmonizing the syntax and semantics of UOML Graphics Objects with SVG

2) IDL:
-------
a) Keep the UOML Command Objects as they are, just maturate and
stabilize the specification as it is.
b) Adding IDLs.

Best regards,
Peter