uoml message

Subject: Schedule for proposed public review

   I understand that Mary McRae, our TC Administrator, has received
a proposed public review draft of the UOML specification.  She will
review it under our usual procedures.  However, one special question
was raised, regarding whether the current review (of the document
created under RAND IPR mode) would be complicated by the TC's plans
to bring the project under a different (royalty free) mode.
   The IPR mode change plans do not need to delay the public review.
  The status of the current approved draft to be reviewed is clear;
and a future IPR mode change should not complicate that.  The
current draft was completed under your current IPR mode, so that
mode would apply to it in any case.  (When the RF mode later takes
effect, the TC simply may, at that time, take the contribution of
the specification, re-vote to approve it; and those steps will make
it available under the newer IPR licensing terms as well.)
   I am sending a separate note to this list, to confirm the next
steps necessary for the IPR mode change.
   Let me mention one more thign about the public review.  It is
common for us at OASIS, once a public review begins, to mention it
to specific parties whose comments might be beneficial.  Mary and I
would welcome your suggestions for organizations or stakeholders
(inside or outside OASIS) whose participation and attention we
should encourage.

   Kind regards, and congratulations for your progress on the UOML
project. JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark