user-assistance-discuss message

Subject: RE: [user-assistance-discuss] Tests passed, an easy question (I hope)

90% of User Assistance documentation is exactly what we previously
called "Online Help". Modern user assistance can be a bit less passive
in its help. For example, on Windows if you ask for help on installing a
printer, the "help" can walk you through the process and through a
troubleshooting process if things fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Assistance

That said, I am personally most concerned about the subset of User
Assistance that is plain old Online Help. If we could get to standards
for that then R&D into wizard-based help etc. would be a logical next
step.

I will send a better kick-off email later today and perhaps we could
plan to start the discussion in earnest on Monday (to give people a
chance to trickle in).

Thanks for your attendance!