user-assistance-discuss message

Subject: Fw: [user-assistance-discuss] Clarifying Our Goals

To clarify:

Eclipse Help is not "proprietary".

The Eclipse Platform is an open source platform, and the Eclipse Help
System is part of that open source platform.

As an open source project, it can be extended and shaped by the open
source community, just as any other open source project can be.

Best regards,
--Lee Anne
Lee Anne Kowalski, Ph.D.
IBM Corporate ID Leadership Team - User Assistance Technology Lead
Phone: (781) 323-4130  IBM Tieline: 364-4560
Internet: kowalski@us.ibm.com

"Think big, start small, and be pragmatic."
----- Forwarded by Lee Anne Kowalski/Silicon Valley/IBM on 05/01/2006
07:47 PM -----

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@xmetal.com>
05/01/2006 01:43 PM

<user-assistance-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
[user-assistance-discuss] Clarifying Our Goals

I didn't want to start this group in a dictatorial mode where I imposed
a firm vision of what we need to accomplish. There are many experts out
there with their own experience and priorities who might have their own
ideas. On the other hand, it is important that we firm up our shared
goals before we dive into details. Let me enumerate the various
(somewhat competing) goals that I could imagine. I've [LABELLED] them
for future discussion.

 ====

[HELP-RUNTIME-ML] The definition of a UA runtime format that would
replace the plethora of specific or proprietary ones like JavaHelp,
Eclipse Help, Apple Help, Oracle Help, MS Compiled Help, MAML etc.

[HELP-INTERCHANGE-ML] The definition of a common intermediate
(transient) format that could be compiled into all of the specific or
proprietary UA formats.

[HELP-AUTHORING-ML] The definition of an authoring format (perhaps based
upon DocBook or DITA) that could be transformed either into the
intermediate form described above, the runtime form described above, or
the existing proprietary formats.

[UNIFIED-HELP-ML] A format that would span the gamut from authoring to
runtime.

[HELP-METADATA-WRAPPER] Standardization of the metadata that typically
wraps XHTML-based help formats.

[HELP-REQUIREMENTS-DEFINITION] A set of UA delivery requirements to be
incorporated into existing authoring and runtime formats like DocBook,
DITA and ODF.

 ====

Despite that wide leeway I would argue that the following tasks are
inappropriate for an OASIS TC and should be handled elsewhere:

A. Usability studies or definitions

B. Software development

 ====

I would appreciate if people could either expand on the list or offer
their opinions (and rationale) on prioritization.

 Paul Prescod