user-assistance-discuss message

Subject: Re: [user-assistance-discuss] Thoughts on Graphical Callouts

On 5/8/06, Irwin, Barbara <Barbara.Irwin@eclipsys.com> wrote:

> That's an interesting point, but users can be handicapped in many ways -
> including some who cannot read.

That is a true statement. Blind people are an example, except for those who
have learned to use electronic Braille displays. See <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refreshable_Braille_display>. JAWS (Jobs Access
for Speech) is presently the most widely used screenreader program for
Braille readers, but is limited to DOS and Windows. <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAWS_%28screen_reader%29>. While JAWS can
convert screen text to speech via voice synethesizer, its functionality is
largely one-way. It adds little to an end user's ability to control
applications.

Others who can not read include sighted people who have never acquired the
skill. If that was the group you had in mind, graphics are not a good
solution to their problem. E.g., how are they even going to find the Help
menu at the top of the application's screen if they can't read? How are they
going to navigate within the Help system? And even if you get past that
barrier, how many images would have to be created to translate all of the
text in a Help system into understandable graphics?

The way forward for Help systems is a combination of web browsers, text,
markup, VoiceXML, and its related standards.  See <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoiceXML>:

"VoiceXML (VXML) is the
W3C<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium>'s
standard XML <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML> format for specifying
interactive voice dialogues between a human and a computer. It is fully
analogous to HTML <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML>, and brings the same
advantages of web application development and deployment to voice
applications that HTML brings to visual applications. Just as HTML documents
are interpreted by a visual web browser, VoiceXML documents are interpreted
by a voice browser <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_browser>. A common
architecture is to deploy banks of voice browsers attached to the public
switched telephone network
(PSTN<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Switched_Telephone_Network>)
so that users can simply pick up a phone to interact with voice
applications.

"There are already thousands of commercial VoiceXML applications deployed,
processing many millions of calls per day. These applications perform a huge
variety of services, including order inquiry, package tracking, driving
directions, emergency notification, wake-up, flight tracking, voice access
to email, customer relationship management, prescription refilling, audio
newsmagazines, voice dialing, and real-estate information. They serve all
industries, and range in size all the way up to massive national directory
assistance <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_assistance> applications.
"VoiceXML has tags that instruct the voice
browser<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_browser>to provide speech
synthesis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_synthesis>, automatic speech
recognition <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition>, dialog
management, and soundfile playback.

. . . . .

"Two closely related W3C standards used with VoiceXML are the Speech
Synthesis Markup Language (SSML <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSML>) and the
Speech Recognition Grammar Specification
(SRGS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGS>).
SSML is used to decorate textual prompts with information on how best to
render them in synthetic speech, for example which speech synthesizer voice
to use, and when to speak louder. SRGS is used to tell the speech recognizer
what sentence patterns it should expect to hear."

<<<

See also World of VoiceXML. <http://www.kenrehor.com/voicexml/>.

Now let's take a quick look at a VoiceXML implementation, HAWHAW, a rapidly
rising star in the open source software scene. <http://www.hawhaw.de/>.
HAWHAW is licensed under the Gnu Lesser General Public License, (The same
license is used for OpenOffice.org, and  allows Sun Microsystems and IBM,
among others, to incorporate OOo code in, respectively, the StarOffice and
IBM Workplace proprietary applications.)

"With HAWHAW you can publish WAP pages which are also accessible by HTML
standard browsers. HAWHAW automatically determines the requesting device's
capabilities and creates appropriate markup code. Many users confirmed that
HAWHAW created WML output is compatible with a lot of mobile devices.

"You don't have to care about all the different browser types available
today. The markup language code is generated by HAWHAW in order to achieve a
maximum of portability across so many different handheld devices as
possible. Especially WAP devices often need browser-optimized WML code for
usability reasons.

"In the early days HAWHAW was a small PHP class library, restricted to
create WAP pages. But in the meantime HAWHAW was enhanced step by step and
now it is not restricted any more to generate HTML and WML code only! If
requested by the user agent, HAWHAW sites are capable to serve XHTML, HDML,
i-modeTM , MML, PDA's and voice browsers as well! XHTML (WAP 2.0) is the
successor of WML 1.x and bridges the gap between WAP and web applications.
HDML is some sort of old-fashioned WML predecessor and is still used, e.g.
in North America. i-mode is currently widely used in Japan, but is expected
to become a serious alternative to WML. MML is short for Multimedia Markup
Language and is like i-mode used in Japan. PDA-browsers are served by HAWHAW
with "handheld-friendly" HTML.

"Since Version 5.0 HAWHAW additionally supports VoiceXML. That means all
HAWHAW applications are voice-enabled per default. The HAWHAW API offers
many voice specific options, making HAWHAW a full-featured development tool
to create interactive voice applications.

"And from version 5.6 onwards, HAWHAW supports special output for the Lynx
text browser. This "archaic" browser is still used today, often by
handicaped people with screen readers and other special equipment. HAWHAW's
Lynx support allows to create *barrierfree* applications, which validate
Bobby-AAA-approved <http://bobby.watchfire.com/> out of the box and
additionally are accessible from each telephone by means of HAWHAW's
VoiceXML support."
<<<

The existing accessibility electronic assistive technology stack rests on a
foundation of hardware and text.

Software systems are designed for many
> functions, and the purpose of help systems is to help users navigate
> those systems. Graphics (including those that lack artistic merit) are
> one of many tools available for that purpose, and can be very efficient
> where the written word is not.

In such situations, how do you meet the informational requirements of the
blind? Please enlighten me if you have a solution. I am not close-minded. I
allow myself to be persuaded by others every day.

Individual help authors are in the best position to determine what their
> users need, and can understand.

Your first clause is correct but the history of the Help authoring industry
teaches your second clause is erroneous. Perhaps you might provide me with
an example of your own work for review in regard accessibility issues?

They're the ones who receive feedback
> directly from their users, and conduct usability studies. I think our
> purpose here is to provide the widest tool-set possible, that will allow
> authors to create help in a manner that meets the needs of their users.

Please carefully consider my words. Handicapped accessibility is not
optional. I have proposed a method of programmatically addressing that issue
through the process of this standardization proceeding. No naysayer has
proposed any programmatic method of addressing the issue within the context
of this process.  All proposals other than mine undermine the W3C VoiceXML
recommendation and associated standards and ignore the legal obligations of
your employers and customers.

From my perspective, what you're describing is an educational issue, not
> a "tools" issue.

You apparently confuse whose education is under discussion. It is a tools
issue. As only a partial solution, many accessibility markup issues could be
enforced by validating input against a schema during an XML transformation.
E.g., the Bitflux and Kupu web app editors validate against a RelaxNG
schema, BFE in near real-time and Kupu upon page save. Neither will allow a
page to be saved unless XHTML is valid.

An implementation of this example that is demonstrably feasible would be for
this proposed standard to require that implementations must validate any
HTML or XHTML input files for <alt> tags being present, validly formatted,
and occupied by text for each instance of a graphic image in a file. If the
validation fails the process aborts.  There are a number of validators
around the Web including those provided by the W3C. Similar markup
validation could be required for all other formats converted to Help files
via this standard's XML.

XML standards normally require validation and compliance. That is one of the
strengths of XML.

Similar validation requirements could block Help authors from converting
files without valid VoiceXML file navigation markup.

We are not talking rocket science here, as some say. All you have to do is
to cross every toy off your list for which you can't up with an
accessibility solution. Mankind managed somehow to survive and flourish
before bit-mapped computer screens came along.

Perhaps someone might explain to me the logic behind making it easy for Help
authors to write non-accessible Help files and why that is better than
making it difficult. In every office system I designed, I tried to make
doing things the right way the easiest way. I truly do not understand where
you people are coming from.

--Marbux