Subject: can we do better than text?

I'm editing the spec in text format, and keeping numbering and
cross-references consistent is a huge pain.

for now I'm just avoiding any numbering changes
and adding cross-references, but I'm not sure we can
keep going like this.

Unless we want to go back to lyx, or latex, any
better ideas on how to do this?