Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] device reset should entail QueuePFN reset (for all queues) on virtio-mmio

Il 24/10/2013 14:03, Laszlo Ersek ha scritto:
> I think
> - that resetting the device (via its status register) should make the
>   host forget *all* prior configuration, including the QueuePFNs,
> - and that the Linux driver should reset the device as first step.

I agree.

> So:
> - What's the motivation for the "acquire/release" semantics of QueuePFN?

I don't know, but...

> - Am I right that device reset should force a QueuePFN reset?

... I agree about this.

What QEMU currently does, is that value zero actually resets the device,
including _all the queues_ and setting the status to 0.  Is your bug
reporter using another virtio implementation?

I'm not sure this is the right thing to do, but the device reset should
definitely include a full vq reset, which in turn includes zeroing QueuePFN.

Paolo