Subject: Usage of virtqueue (vq) vs. virtio_ring (vring)

Hi,

I was reading the VIRTIO specification 1.0 draft (and looking in parallel into the implementation in Linux). I noticed that the draft uses the term virtqueue to describe essentially virtio_ring (or vring, as used in the associated code examples) in chapter 2.4. This is even more obvious when reading the white paper "virtio: Towards a De-Facto Standard For Virtual I/O Devices" before. Is it intended that virtqueue now equals virtio_ring? In any case, maybe the language can be cleaned up a bit; using vring*, VRING_* and virtio_ring for virtqueue without any prior notion/introduction of virtio_ring is a little bit confusing (if only reading the spec and not knowing the history of virtio).

Regards,

Holm