Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] Hardware friendly proposals from Intel for packed-ring-layout

If the tail pointer is available to the device, can an implementation not check the DESC_HW flag on each individual descriptor to save some cycle? Implementation is supposed to check VRING_DESC_F_WRITE prior to the write. However, I don’t see either DPDK or VPP is checking it. I don’t know if they are doing that on purpose to save some cycle or an oversight.

Steven

On 8/24/17, 7:25 AM, "virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of Paolo Bonzini" <virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

    On 24/08/2017 16:23, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
    > On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 02:10:34PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
    >> On 24/08/2017 13:53, Tiwei Bie wrote:
    >>>
    >>> * In addition to the DESC_HW flag, each virtio queue has a tail pointer
    >>>     - Driver creates suitable (i.e. multiple of cacheline) descriptors,
    >>>       then performs MMIO write to tail pointer.
    >>
    >> If I understand correctly, the tail pointer is the value that is written
    >> to the MMIO register.  If that is the case, this is unfortunately bad
    >> for virtualization.  Virt prefers a doorbell register where the value
    >> doesn't matter.
    >
    > I think it's fine actually, this tail pointer merely duplicates data
    > that is already available in form of DESC_HW flag.  Virt can just ignore
    > the value.

    If the spec says the hardware can read speculatively beyond the tail
    pointer, that's fine indeed (that was not in Tiwei's proposal).

    Paolo

    This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the

    OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

    In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and

    to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required

    before posting.

    Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org

    Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf