Subject: Re: Formal specification of virtIO

Hello,

I am investigating the possibility to use a higher-level language to
describe virtio concepts. I am writing down this research at
https://github.com/MatiasVara/virtioml. I defined a metamodel that
captures concepts and relationships between these concepts. I also built
a simple transformation to generate the headers in C. This transformation
may be extended to other languages. I am currently investigating the
possibility to model the VIRTIO_CONFIG_S_* status register state machine to verify
that a virtio driver follows the specification. To do this, I am first using
a formalism to encode the specification, and from that code, I generate
the instrumentation code that goes in the driver. The instrumentation code
warns when the specification is violated. This is, however, a very draft work.

Regards, Matias.