Subject: [Resend] about reserving virtio device ID for QingTian Box (virtio-qtbox) devices

Huawei Cloud is one of the famous public cloud providers, and its hypervisor is named QingTian. We plan to support the QingTian Box (virtio-qtbox) that provides some guest-aware features ( for high performance, security, etc. ) in the future, and at least one of them is already in development. The data transmission is based on the Virtio, so we want to reserve a device id ( 43 ) for the virtio-qtbox.

virtio-qtbox can help user carve out some resources (e.g. vcpu, mem, pci_dev) from the VM and then use these resources to start a sandbox for the user. The usage quite likes the software enclave which Nitro already supported, but we have much wider usage, for example, running unikernel + app (e.g. OSV + Redis) in the sandbox, it would provide much better performance than the traditional os.

Since virtio-qtbox is developed for virtualization scenarios to isolate resources, it supports live migration and crashes recovery. virtio-qtbox lowers the technical threshold for implementing resource isolation in VMs and helps users have a more efficient and secure development platform based on cloud services.

Any comments will be appreciated.

issue: https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/issues/127

mail-list: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/202112/msg00030.html

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/202112/msg00047.html