Subject: Re: rfc: vhost user enhancements for vm2vm communication

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 11:11:52AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2015-09-01 10:01, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 09:35:21AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> >> Leaving all the implementation and interface details aside, this
> >> discussion is first of all about two fundamentally different approaches:
> >> static shared memory windows vs. dynamically remapped shared windows (a
> >> third one would be copying in the hypervisor, but I suppose we all agree
> >> that the whole exercise is about avoiding that). Which way do we want or
> >> have to go?
> >>
> >> Jan
> >
> > Dynamic is a superset of static: you can always make it static if you
> > wish. Static has the advantage of simplicity, but that's lost once you
> > realize you need to invent interfaces to make it work.  Since we can use
> > existing IOMMU interfaces for the dynamic one, what's the disadvantage?
>
> Complexity. Having to emulate even more of an IOMMU in the hypervisor
> (we already have to do a bit for VT-d IR in Jailhouse) and doing this
> per platform (AMD IOMMU, ARM SMMU, ...) is out of scope for us. In that
> sense, generic grant tables would be more appealing.

That's not how we do things for KVM, PV features need to be
modular and interchangeable with emulation.

If you just want something that's cross-platform and easy to
implement, just build a PV IOMMU. Maybe use virtio for this.

> But what we would
> actually need is an interface that is only *optionally* configured by a
> guest for dynamic scenarios, otherwise preconfigured by the hypervisor
> for static setups. And we need guests that support both. That's the
> challenge.
>
> Jan

That's already there for IOMMUs: vfio does the static setup by default,
enabling iommu by guests is optional.