Subject: Re: rfc: vhost user enhancements for vm2vm communication

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:28:28PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2015-09-01 18:02, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> >> Please specify more precisely which feature in which IOMMU you are
> >> referring to. Also, given that you refer to VFIO, I suspect we have
> >> different thing in mind. I'm talking about an IOMMU device model, like
> >> the one we have in QEMU now for VT-d. That one is not at all
> >> preconfigured by the host for VFIO.
> >
> > I really just mean that VFIO creates a mostly static IOMMU configuration.
> >
> > It's configured by the guest, not the host.
>
> OK, that resolves my confusion.
>

> > I don't see host control over configuration as being particularly important.
>
> We do, see below.

> >> "A bit less" is to be validated, and I doubt its just "a bit". But if
> >> KVM and its guests will also support some PV-IOMMU that we can reuse for
> >> our scenarios, than that is fine. KVM would not have to mandate support
> >> for it while we would, that's all.
> >
> > Someone will have to do this work.

> >> I don't care very much about the dynamic case as we won't support it
> >> anyway. However, if the configuration concept used for it is applicable
> >> to static mode as well, then we could reuse it. But preconfiguration
> >> will required register-based region description, I suspect.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by preconfiguration exactly.
> >
> > Do you want the host to configure the IOMMU? Why not let the
> > guest do this?
>
> We simply freeze GPA-to-HPA mappings during runtime. Avoids having to
> validate and synchronize guest-triggered changes.

Fine, but this assumes guest does very specific things, right?
E.g. should guest reconfigure device's BAR, you would have
to change GPA to HPA mappings?

> >> Sounds simple but may become challenging for VMs that have many of such
> >> devices (in order to connect to many possibly large VMs).
> >
> > You don't need to be able to map all guest memory if you know
> > guest won't try to allow device access to all of it.
> > It's a question of how good is the bus address allocator.
>
> But those BARs need to allocate a guest-physical address range as large
> as the other guest's RAM is, possibly even larger if that RAM is not
> contiguous, and you can't put other resources into potential holes
> because VM2 does not know where those holes will be.

No - only the RAM that you want addressable by VM2.

IOW if you wish, you actually can create a shared memory device,
make it accessible to the IOMMU and place some or all
data there.

> >> Well, that would be trivial for VM1 to check if there are only one or
> >> two memory windows. Relying on the hypervisor to handle it may be
> >> unacceptable for real-time VMs.
> >>
> >> Jan
> >
> > Why? real-time != fast. I doubt you can avoid vm exits completely.
>
> We can, one property of Jailhouse (on x86, ARM is waiting for GICv4).
>
> Real-time == deterministic. And if you have such vm exits potentially in
> your code path, you have them always - for worst-case analysis. One may
> argue about probability in certain scenarios, but if the triggering side
> is malicious, probability may become 1.
>
> Jan

You are doing a special hypervisor anyway, I think you could
detect that setup is done, and freeze
the configuration.

If afterwards a VM attempts to modify mappings, you can
say it's malicious and ignore it, or kill it, or whatever.