Subject: RFC: future virtio spec numbering

What should we call the next version of the virtio spec?

The issue is that unfortunately current
spec versions all have "latest" link to
http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/virtio-v1.0.html

Also, Google search for virtio still tends to turn up csprd01
and that has the above link in it.

I asked about adding links to
       http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/latest/final/virtio-latest.html
       http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/latest/final/virtio-latest.pdf

but did not get a response so apparently no go.

1. virtio 1.0 cs05.
    Pros: latest link will point to the correct version.
    Cons: seems to be confusing to people - 1.0 is a product so one
    would expect 1.0 be in bugfixes-only mode at this point.
    And what would we call a bugfix branch if we ever made one?

2. virtio 1.1
    Pros: internet searches will start finding the new version (although
    there's a risk it will get struct at csprd01 again).
    Cons: latest links from 1.0 will not point at this one.

3. virtio 2.0
    Pros: publicity. people will know it's a new spec.
    Also, this leaves an option to do a bugfix release and call it 1.1.
    Cons: people might get confused thinking it's not backwards compatible.

Let's discuss here a bit, then do a ballot.

--
MST