Subject: Virtio Spec clarification

Hello Virtio Developers,

I need some clarification about the virtio spec, and I was wondering if you can help me with that.

If VIRTIO_F_EVENT_IDX feature is negotiated, when is the driver supposed to update the used_event? Is the driver supposed to do it before or after it updates the avail_idx?

The reason I am asking this question is because if the driver updates the used_event after it updates the avail_idx, there is a possibility that the device will process and complete the IO before the driver can update the used_event. My device is constantly polling for changes to avail_idx, and sometimes it does not interrupt the driver because the used_event has not been updated by the driver yet.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sincerely,
K. Chahal

P.S. Sorry I had to resend this email because it was not delivered the first time around. I was not a subscriber to the mailing list.