Subject: Re: packed ring layout proposal v2

On 02/08/2017 04:20 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
[...]
> * Prototype
>
> A partial prototype can be found under
> tools/virtio/ringtest/ring.c
>
> Test run:
> [mst@tuck ringtest]$ time ./ring
> real    0m0.399s
> user    0m0.791s
> sys     0m0.000s
> [mst@tuck ringtest]$ time ./virtio_ring_0_9
> real    0m0.503s
> user    0m0.999s
> sys     0m0.000s

I see similar improvements on s390, so I think this would be a very nice
improvement.

[...]
> Note: should this proposal be accepted and approved, one or more
>       claims disclosed to the TC admin and listed on the Virtio TC
>       IPR page https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/ipr.php
>       might become Essential Claims.

I have trouble parsing that legal stuff. Do I read that right, that
these claims can be implemented as part of a virtio implementation without
any worries (e.g. non open source HW implementation or non open source
hypervisor)?