Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] virtio-iommu: a paravirtualized IOMMU

On 13/04/17 09:16, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

I can't talk about other OSes, but on Linux virtio-iommu is implemented
the same way as other IOMMU drivers and doesn't require core modifications.

> I would image both full-emulated IOMMUs and pvIOMMU would co-exist
> for some time due to above reasons. Someday when pvIOMMU is mature/
> spread enough in the eco-system (and feature-wise comparable to full-emulated
> IOMMUs for all vendors), then we may make a call.

Agreed. The main inconvenient of any paravirtualized device is that they
need additional support in the guest. It is not our intention to disrupt
all the work done on IOMMU virtualization for x86 and other architectures.
Even for ARM, people might want to provide SMMU emulations to unmodified
guests, implemented in userspace. What we intend to avoid, as detailed in
my other reply, is in-kernel emulation of all possible ARM-based IOMMU
variations for Linux. So we propose a generic alternative from the start,
that others can reuse later.

Thanks,
Jean-Philippe