Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Vhost-pci RFC2.0

On 05/02/2017 08:48 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 01:51:24PM +0800, Wei Wang wrote:
On 04/19/2017 11:24 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Wei Wang <wei.w.wang@intel.com> wrote:
On 04/19/2017 05:57 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 06:38:11AM +0000, Wang, Wei W wrote:
We made some design changes to the original vhost-pci design, and want to
open
a discussion about the latest design (labelled 2.0) and its extension
(2.1).
2.0 design: One VM shares the entire memory of another VM
2.1 design: One VM uses an intermediate memory shared with another VM for
                        packet transmission.
Hi,
Can you talk a bit about the motivation for the 2.x design and major
changes compared to 1.x?
1.x refers to the design we presented at KVM Form before. The major
change includes:
1) inter-VM notification support
2) TX engine and RX engine, which is the structure built in the driver. From
the device point of view, the local rings of the engines need to be
registered.
It would be great to support any virtio device type.
Yes, the current design already supports the creation of devices of
different types.
The support is added to the vhost-user protocol and the vhost-user slave.
Once the slave handler receives the request to create the device (with
the specified device type), the remaining process (e.g. device realize)
is device specific.
This part remains the same as presented before
(i.e.Page 12 @ http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/5/55/02x07A-Wei_Wang-Design_of-Vhost-pci.pdf).
The use case I'm thinking of is networking and storage appliances in
cloud environments (e.g. OpenStack).  vhost-user doesn't fit nicely
because users may not be allowed to run host userspace processes.  VMs
are first-class objects in compute clouds.  It would be natural to
deploy networking and storage appliances as VMs using vhost-pci.

In order to achieve this vhost-pci needs to be a virtio transport and
not a virtio-net-specific PCI device.  It would extend the VIRTIO 1.x
spec alongside virtio-pci, virtio-mmio, and virtio-ccw.
Actually it is designed as a device under virtio-pci transport. I'm
not sure about the value of having a new transport.

When you say TX and RX I'm not sure if the design only supports
virtio-net devices?
Current design focuses on the vhost-pci-net device. That's the
reason that we have TX/RX here. As mention above, when the
slave invokes the device creation function, the execution
goes to each device specific code.

The TX/RX is the design after the device creation, so it is specific
to vhost-pci-net. For the future vhost-pci-blk, that design can
have its own request queue.
Here is my understanding based on your vhost-pci GitHub repo:

VM1 sees a normal virtio-net-pci device.  VM1 QEMU is invoked with a
vhost-user netdev.

VM2 sees a hotplugged vhost-pci-net virtio-pci device once VM1
initializes the device and a message is sent over vhost-user.

Right.

There is no integration with Linux drivers/vhost/ code for VM2.  Instead
you are writing a 3rd virtio-net driver specifically for vhost-pci.  Not
sure if it's possible to reuse drivers/vhost/ cleanly but that would be
nicer than implementing virtio-net again.

vhost-pci-net is a standalone network device with its own unique
device id, and the device itself is different from virtio-net (e.g.
different virtqueues), so I think it would be more reasonable to
let vhost-pci-net have its own driver.

There are indeed some functions in vhost-pci-net that looks
similar to those in virtio-net (e.g. try_fill_recv()). I haven't thought
of a good way to reuse them yet, because the interfaces are not
completely the same, for example, vpnet_info and virtnet_info,
which need to be passed to the functions, are different.

Is the VM1 vhost-user netdev a normal vhost-user device or does it know
about vhost-pci?

Share the QEMU booting commands, which would be helpful:
VM1(vhost-pci-net):
-chardev socket,id=slave1,server,wait=off,path=${PATH_SLAVE1} \
-vhost-pci-slave socket,chardev=slave1

VM2(virtio-net):
-chardev socket,id=sock2,path=${PATH_SLAVE1} \
-netdev type=vhost-user,id=net2,chardev=sock2,vhostforce \
-device virtio-net-pci,mac=52:54:00:00:00:02,netdev=net2

The netdev doesn't know about vhost_pci, but the vhost_dev knows
it via
vhost_dev->protocol_features &
    (1ULL << VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_VHOST_PCI),

The vhost-pci specific messages need to be sent in the vhost-pci
case. For example, at the end of vhost_net_start(), if it detects the
slave is vhost-pci, it will send a
VHOST_USER_SET_VHOST_PCI_START message to the slave(VM1).

It's hard to study code changes in your vhost-pci repo because
everything (QEMU + Linux + your changes) was committed in a single
commit.  Please keep your changes in separate commits so it's easy to
find them.

Thanks a lot for reading the draft code. I'm working to do some
cleanup and split it into patches. I will post out the QEMU side
patches soon.

Best,
Wei