Subject: Re: [RFC 2/3] virtio-iommu: device probing and operations

On 21/08/17 08:59, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

IOASID is a logical ID, it isn't used by hardware. The address space
concept in virtio-iommu allows to group endpoints together, so that they
have the same address space. I thought it was pretty much the same as
"domains" in VT-d? In any case, it is the same as domains in Linux. An
IOASID provides a handle for communication between virtio-iommu device and
driver, but unlike PASID, the IOASID number doesn't mean anything outside
of virtio-iommu.

I haven't introduced PASIDs in public virtio-iommu documents yet, but the
way I intend it, PASID != IOASID. We will still have a logical address
space identified by IOASID, that can contain multiple contexts identified
by PASID. At the moment, after the ATTACH request, an address space
contains a single anonymous context (NO PASID) that can be managed with
MAP/UNMAP requests. With virtio-iommu v0.4, structures look like the
following. The NO PASID context is implicit.

                    address space      context
    endpoint ----.                                  .- mapping
    endpoint ----+---- IOASID -------- NO PASID ----+- mapping
    endpoint ----'                                  '- mapping

I'd like to add a flag to ATTACH that says "don't create a default
anonymous context, I'll handle contexts myself". Then a new "ADD_TABLE"
request to handle contexts. When creating a context, the guest decides if
it wants to manage it via MAP/UNMAP requests (and a new "context" field),
or instead manage mappings itself by allocating a page directory and use
INVALIDATE requests.

                    address space      context
    endpoint ----.                                  .- mapping
    endpoint ----+---- IOASID ----+--- NO PASID ----+- mapping
    endpoint ----'                |                 '- mapping
                                  +--- PASID 0  ---- pgd
                                  '--- PASID N  ---- pgd

In this example the guest chose to still have an anonymous context that
uses MAP/UNMAP, along with a few PASID contexts with their own page tables.

Thanks,
Jean