Subject: Re: virtio_net: ethtool supported link modes

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 06:04:04PM +0100, Radu Rendec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking at the code in virtnet_set_link_ksettings, it seems the speed
> and duplex can be set to any valid value. The driver will "remember"
> them and report them back in virtnet_get_link_ksettings.
>
> However, the supported link modes (link_modes.supported in struct
> ethtool_link_ksettings) is always 0, indicating that no speed/duplex
> setting is supported.
>
> Does it make more sense to set (at least a few of) the supported link
> modes, such as 10baseT_Half ... 10000baseT_Full?
>
> I would expect to see consistency between what is reported in
> link_modes.supported and what can actually be set. Could you please
> share your opinion on this?
>
> Thank you,
> Radu Rendec

I would like to know more about why this is desirable.

We used not to support the modes at all, but it turned out
some tools are confused by this: e.g. people would try to
bond virtio with a hardware device, tools would see
a mismatch in speed and features between bonded devices
and get confused.

See

	commit 16032be56c1f66770da15cb94f0eb366c37aff6e
	Author: Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@cumulusnetworks.com>
	Date:   Wed Feb 3 04:04:37 2016 +0100

	    virtio_net: add ethtool support for set and get of settings

as well as the discussion around it
	https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg362111.html

If you think we need to add more hacks like this, a stronger
motivation than "to see consistency" would be needed.

--
MST