Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] packed ring layout proposal v3

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
> This is an update from v2 version.
> Changes:
> - update event suppression mechanism
> - add wrap counter: DESC_WRAP flag in addition to
>   DESC_DRIVER flag used for validity so device does not have to
>   write out all used descriptors.
> - more options especially helpful for hardware implementations
> - in-order processing option due to popular demand
> - list of TODO items to consider as a follow-up, only two are
>   open questions we need to descide now, marked as blocker,
>   others are future enhancement ideas.

Perhaps this would make a good topic for a BoF session at the upcoming
netdev. A new ring structure can be useful elsewhere, too, such as for
af_packet v4.

> ---
>
> Performance analysis of this is in my kvm forum 2016 presentation.
> The idea is to have a r/w descriptor in a ring structure,
> replacing the used and available ring, index and descriptor
> buffer.
>
> Note: the following mode of operation will actually work
> without changes when descriptor rings do not overlap, with driver
> writing out available entries in a read-only driver descriptor ring,
> device writing used entries in a write-only device descriptor ring.

The ring is always read-write, as the consumer has to toggle the
DESC_DRIVER flag, right? Which mode are you referring to?

> TODO: does this have any value for some? E.g. as a security feature?
>

> * Descriptor ring:
>
> Driver writes descriptors with unique index values and DESC_DRIVER set in flags.
> Descriptors are written in a ring order: from start to end of ring,
> wrapping around to the beginning.
> Device writes used descriptors with correct len, index, and DESC_HW clear.
> Again descriptors are written in ring order. This might not be the same
> order of driver descriptors, and not all descriptors have to be written out.

Virtio rings are used in both directions between guest device driver and
host device, as well as in increasingly many situations outside vm i/o.

I suggest using producer and consumer instead of driver and device
when describing ring operations.

When working on the virtio-net tx path, having to invert all the documentation
in my head, because it is written from an rx point of view was a bit tricky ;-)

I would then also convert DESC_DRIVER to DESC_VALID or so.

> Driver and device are expected to maintain (internally) a wrap-around
> bit, starting at 0 and changing value each time they start writing out
> descriptors at the beginning of the ring. This bit is passed as
> DESC_WRAP bit in the flags field.

So, the flag effectively doubles the namespace of the id from 16 bit to
17 bit? Instead, how about using a larger identifier. Such as 32 bit.

This also future proofs the design for cases where the ring may grow
to exceed 65536 entries. Doing so is not a short term change, but it
ould avoid the need for indirect descriptors and give greated room
for out of order acknowledgement.

> Flags are always set/cleared last.
>
> Note that driver can write descriptors out in any order, but device
> will not execute descriptor X+1 until descriptor X has been
> read as valid.

Why this constraint on the ring?

> Driver operation:
>
> Driver makes descriptors available to device by writing out descriptors
> in the descriptor ring. Once ring is full, driver waits for device to
> use some descriptors before making more available.
>
> Descriptors can be used by device in any order, but must be read from
> ring in-order, and must be read completely before starting use.  Thus,
> once a descriptor is used, driver can over-write both this descriptor
> and any descriptors which preceded it in the ring.

Does this mean that completing a descriptor by the consumer implicitly
completes all descriptors that precede it in the ring?

> Driver can detect use of descriptor either by device specific means
> (e.g. detect a buffer data change by device) or in a generic way
> by detecting that a used buffer has been written out by device.

I don't quite follow this.

> Driver writes out available scatter/gather descriptor entries in guest
> descriptor format:
>

> #define DESC_WRAP 0x0040
> #define DESC_DRIVER 0x0080
>
> struct desc {
>         __le64 addr;
>         __le32 len;
>         __le16 index;
>         __le16 flags;
> };
>
> Fields:
>
> addr - physical address of a s/g entry
> len - length of an entry

Is this ever larger than 16-bit? If not, then reducing to 16-bit allows
growing index to 32-bit.

> index - unique index.  The low $\lceil log(N) \rceil - 1$
>       bits of the index is a driver-supplied value which can have any value
>       (under driver control).  The high bits are reserved and should be
>       set to 0.
>
> flags - descriptor flags.
>
> Descriptors written by driver have DESC_DRIVER set.
>
> Writing out this field makes the descriptor available for the device to use,
> so all other fields must be valid when it is written.
>
> DESC_WRAP - device uses this field to detect descriptor change by driver.
>
> Driver can use 1 bit to set direction
> /* This marks a descriptor as write-only (otherwise read-only). */
> #define VRING_DESC_F_WRITE      2

This is a per-ring flag, as opposed to the per-descriptor flags DESC_*.
Please make that explicit and state in which structure it is set.

> Device operation (using descriptors):
>
> Device is looking for descriptors in ring order. After detecting that
> the flags value has changed with DESC_DRIVER set and DESC_WRAP matching
> the wrap-around counter, it can start using the descriptors.
> Descriptors can be used in any order, but must be read from ring
> in-order.  In other words device must not read descriptor X after it
> started using descriptor X+1.

Why? This is the same question as above, really. This seems like a
device constraint, not necessarily a constraint to impose on the ring
format.

> Further, all buffer descriptors must be
> read completely before device starts using the buffer.
>
> This because once a descriptor is used, driver can over-write both this
> descriptor and any preceeding descriptors in ring.

This does explain the above constraint. I guess that I just do not
understand the reason for this behavior.

> To help driver detect use of descriptors and to pass extra meta-data
> to driver, device writes out used entries in device descriptor format:
>

> #define DESC_WRAP 0x0040
> #define DESC_DRIVER 0x0080
>
> struct desc {
>         __le64 reserved;
>         __le32 len;
>         __le16 index;
>         __le16 flags;
> };
>
> Fields:
>
> reserved - can be any value, ignored by driver
> len - length written by device. only valid if VRING_DESC_F_WRITE is set
>       len bytes of data from beginning of buffer are assumed to have been updated
> index - unique index copied from the driver descriptor that has been used.
> flags - descriptor flags.
>
> Descriptors written by device have DESC_DRIVER clear.
>
> Writing out this field notifies the driver that it can re-use the
> descriptor id. It is also a signal that driver can over-write the
> relevant descriptor (with the supplied id), and any other
>
> DESC_WRAP - driver uses this field to detect descriptor change by device.
>
> If device has used a buffer containing a write descriptor, it sets this bit:
> #define VRING_DESC_F_WRITE      2
>
> * Driver scatter/gather support
>
> Driver can use 1 bit to chain s/g entries in a request, similar to virtio 1.0:
>
> /* This marks a buffer as continuing in the next ring entry. */
> #define VRING_DESC_F_NEXT       1

Isn't this a descriptor flag, so DESC_NEXT?

> When driver descriptors are chained in this way, multiple
> descriptors are treated as a part of a single transaction
> containing an optional write buffer followed by an optional read buffer.

Can you elaborate on the last part about optional write and read buffer?

> All descriptors in the chain must have the same ID.

If so, then the explicit flag is not needed?

> Unlike virtio 1.0, use of this flag will be an optional feature
> so both devices and drivers can opt out of it.
> If they do, they can either negotiate indirect descriptors or use
> single-descriptor entries exclusively for buffers.
>
> Device might detect a partial descriptor chain (VRING_DESC_F_NEXT
> set but next descriptor not valid).

This can be forbidden, by requiring the producer to set the
DESC_DRIVER bit on the first descriptor only after the entire
chain has been written.

Do chains have to consist of consecutive descriptors?

> In that case it must not
> use any parts of the chain - it will later be completed by driver,
> but device is allowed to store the valid parts of the chain as
> driver is not allowed to change them anymore.
>
> Two options are available:
>
> Device can write out the same number of descriptors for the chain,
> setting VRING_DESC_F_NEXT for all but the last descriptor.
> Driver will ignore all used descriptors with VRING_DESC_F_NEXT bit set.
>
> Device only writes out a single descriptor for the whole chain.
> However, to keep device and driver in sync, it then skips a number of
> descriptors corresponding to the length of the chain before writing out
> the next used descriptor.
> After detecting a used descriptor driver must find out the length of the
> chain that it built in order to know where to look for the next
> device descriptor.
>
> * Indirect buffers
>
> Indirect buffer descriptors is an optional feature.
> These are always written by driver, not the device.
> Indirect buffers have a special flag bit set - like in virtio 1.0:
>
> /* This means the buffer contains a table of buffer descriptors. */
> #define VRING_DESC_F_INDIRECT   4
>
> VRING_DESC_F_WRITE and VRING_DESC_F_NEXT are always clear.
>
> len specifies the length of the indirect descriptor buffer in bytes
> and must be a multiple of 16.

Multiple of sizeof(struct indirect_desc).

Also, struct indirect_desc is identical to struct desc. No need for a
separate struct definition?

> Unlike virtio 1.0, the buffer pointed to is a table, not a list:

This is just a linear array, right?

> struct indirect_descriptor_table {
>         /* The actual descriptors (16 bytes each) */
>         struct indirect_desc desc[len / 16];
> };
>
> The first descriptor is located at start of the indirect descriptor
> table, additional indirect descriptors come immediately afterwards.
>
> struct indirect_desc {
>         __le64 addr;
>         __le32 len;
>         __le16 reserved;
>         __le16 flags;
> };
>

> DESC_F_WRITE is the only valid flag for descriptors in the indirect
> table. Others should be set to 0 and are ignored.  reserved field is
> also set to 0 and should be ignored.
>
> TODO (blocker): virtio 1.0 allows a s/g entry followed by
>       an indirect descriptor. Is this useful?

Sounds like unnecessary complexity.

> [...]
> signal to device that it does not have to write out the used descriptor
> as it is part of a batch of descriptors. Device has two options (similar
> to VRING_DESC_F_NEXT):
>
> Device can write out the same number of descriptors for the batch,
> setting VRING_DESC_F_MORE for all but the last descriptor.
> Driver will ignore all used descriptors with VRING_DESC_F_MORE bit set.
>
> Device only writes out a single descriptor for the whole batch.
> However, to keep device and driver in sync, it then skips a number of
> descriptors corresponding to the length of the batch before writing out
> the next used descriptor.
> After detecting a used descriptor driver must find out the length of the
> batch that it built in order to know where to look for the next
> device descriptor.
>

> TODO (blocker): skipping descriptors for selective and
> scatter/gather seem to be only requested with in-order right now. Let's
> require in-order for this skipping?  This will simplify the accounting
> by driver.
>

> * Interrupt/event suppression
>
> virtio 1.0 has two mechanisms for suppression but only
> one can be used at a time. we pack them together
> in a structure - one for interrupts, one for notifications:
>
> struct event {
>         __le16 idx;
>         __le16 flags;
> }
>
> Both fields would be optional, with a feature bit:
> VIRTIO_F_EVENT_IDX
> VIRTIO_F_EVENT_FLAGS
>
> Flags can be used like in virtio 1.0, by storing a special
> value there:
>
> #define VRING_F_EVENT_ENABLE  0x0
>
> #define VRING_F_EVENT_DISABLE 0x1
>
> Event index includes the index of the descriptor
> which should trigger the event, and the wrap counter
> in the high bit.
>
> In that case, interrupt triggers when descriptor is written at a given
> location in the ring (or skipped in case of NEXT/MORE).
>
> If both features are negotiated, a special flags value
> can be used to switch to event idx:
>
> #define VRING_F_EVENT_IDX     0x2
>
> * Available notification
>
> Driver currently writes out the queue number to device to
> kick off ring processing.
>
> As queue number is currently 16 bit, we can extend that
> to additionally include the offset within ring of the descriptor
> which triggered the kick event in bits 16 to 30,
> and the wrap counter in the high bit (31).
>
> Device is allowed to pre-fetch descriptors beyond the specified
> offset but is not required to do so.
>

> * TODO: interrupt coalescing
>
> Does it make sense just for networking or for all devices?
> If later should we make it a per ring or a global feature?
>

> * TODO: event index/flags in device memory?
>
> Should we move the event index/flags to device memory?
> Might be helpful for hardware configuration so they do not
> need to do DMA reads to check whether interrupt is needed.

Agreed. This also resembles physical devices more closely.