Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] packed ring layout proposal v3

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 09:11:57AM +0000, Liang, Cunming wrote:
> Hi Michael,

No, this is necessary if not all descriptors are overwritten by device
after they are used.

Each time driver overwrites a descriptor, the value in DESC_WRAP changes
which makes it possible for device to detect that there's a new
descriptor.

> > Flags are always set/cleared last.
> >
> > Note that driver can write descriptors out in any order, but device will not
> > execute descriptor X+1 until descriptor X has been read as valid.
> >
> > Driver operation:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > DESC_WRAP - device uses this field to detect descriptor change by driver.
>
> Device uses this field to detect change of wrap-around boundary by driver?
>
> [...]
> >
> > Device operation (using descriptors):
> >
> [...]
> >
> > DESC_WRAP - driver uses this field to detect descriptor change by device.
>
> Driver uses this field to detect change of wrap-around boundary by device?
>
> By using this, driver doesn't need to maintain any internal wrap-around count, but being aware of wrap-around by DESC_WRAP flag.
>

> Thanks,
> Steve

So v2 simply said descriptor has a single bit: driver writes 1 there,
device writes 0.

This requires device to overwrite each descriptor and people asked
for a way to communicate where some descriptors are not overwritten.

This new bit helps device distinguish new and old descriptors written by driver.