Subject: RE: [virtio-dev] packed ring layout proposal v3

Ok, get it now.

> > This is confusing me a bit.
> >
> > My understanding is: 1. the internally kept wrap value only flipped
> > when the first descriptor is overwritten
> >
> > 2. the moment the first descriptor is written the internal wrap value
> > is flipped 0->1 or 1->0 and this value is written to every descriptor
> > DESC_WRAP until we reach the first descriptor again
That's right, it's also my take.
DESC_WRAP is only used by driver, device does nothing with that flag.

> Yes this is what I tried to say. Can you suggest a better wording then?
The term of DESC_WRAP is fine to me.

> > > After writing down this explanation, I think the names aren't great.
> > >
> > > Let me try an alternative explanation.
> > >
> > > ---------------
> > > A two-bit field, DRIVER_OWNER, signals the buffer ownership.
> > > It has 4 possible values:
> > > values 0x1, 0x11 are written by driver values 0x0, 0x10 are written
> > > by device
> >
> > The 0x prefix might add to the confusion here. It is really just two
> > bits, no?
>
> Ouch. Yes I meant 0b. Thanks!
0b00, 0b10 are written by device?
I suppose device can only clear high bit, can keep low bit no change.
Then the value written by device can be either 0b01 or 0b00, but 0b10 means to set high bit, no?

> > > each time driver writes out a descriptor, it must make sure that the
> > > high bit in OWNER changes.
> > >
> > > each time device writes out a descriptor, it must make sure that the
> > > high bit in OWNER does not change.
Typo here? It should be "..., it must make sure that the low bit in OWNER does not change."?
For high bit in OWNER, each time devices writes out a descriptor, it must make sure to clear high bit in OWNER.

> > > this is exactly the same functionally, DRIVER is high bit and WRAP
> > > is the low bit.  Does this make things clearer?
> >
> > So far it makes sense to me.
It sounds good.