Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [virtio-dev] Re: [v22 1/2] virtio-crypto: Add virtio crypto device specification

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 01:29:50PM +0100, Halil Pasic wrote:

> On 12/18/2017 09:43 AM, Longpeng (Mike) wrote:
> > Hi Halil,

> >> Did not read the rest of the document. I'm not in the middle of something,
> >> but I wanted to read the operation part these days. I guess, you prefer
> >> sending out v23 over waiting, so I guess I will wait for v23 then.
> >>

> > Sorry, I prefer to wait for more comments on v22.
> >

> OK, then I will read the whole thing.
>
> >> Some general questions/remarks before you spin v23:
> >>
> >> * I'm not convinced about this 'header' and 'extra parameters' terminology.
> >> Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_(computing) for header.
> >> I don't think it's fitting for the _flf structs.
> >> Same about the 'extra'. Please see  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/extra
> >> (a : more than is due, usual, or necessary : additional) the things in
> >> _vlf aren't extra at all. Do you intend to stick with is terminology?
> >> If yes why? Please explain how should I read/understand it so that it makes
> >> sense!
> >>

> > I use 'fixed-length paramenters' instead of 'header' and 'variable-length
> > parameters' instead of 'extra parameters' in certain places, but other places
> > are forgotten.
> >
> > BTW, I think this isn't a big problem and structural defect, I hope native
> > speakers could help us.
> >

> It isn't a big structural thing, but inconsistent wording can make
> difficult to understand stuff even more difficult to understand.
>
> This wording stuff is not a show-stopper for me.

Right. There's a working implementation upstream that people use,
so at this point we really need a description of that upstream,
and add wording tweaks on top. And it's too late to change the
interface drastically, any change must be compatible using
feature bits for anything we want changed.

> >> * Do we want/need to specify any alignment requirement for the
> >> stuff in guest storage (for instance the _flf fields) or be explicit
> >> about no alignment should be assumed (e.g virtio_crypto_mac_create_session_flf.algo
> >> ain't necessarily aligned (in guest memory) as required by uint32_t)?
> >>

> > The _flf fields are all 32bit or 64bit.
> >

> What is your point? Please elaborate!

> >> * I assume one request is supposed to correspond to one descriptor chain.
> >> Right? If yes, could you tell me, where is this expressed in the spec.
> >>

> You have ignored this one. Michael said it's the default for the whole
> spec, but I still don't know where is this requirement to be found
> in the spec.

I was surprised to find this does not say this explicitly anywhere.
I this we should add something like the below to the Virtqueues
chapter:

	Driver makes requests available to device by adding an available buffer
	to the queue - i.e. adding a buffer describing the request to a
	virtqueue, and optionally triggering a driver event - i.e. sending a
	notification to the device.  Device executes the requests and - when
	complete - adds a used buffer to the queue - i.e. lets the driver know
	by marking the buffer as used. Device can then trigger a device event -
	i.e. send an interrupt to the driver.