Subject: Device-to-driver notification management for hardware implementations

All,

The VIRTIO_F_NOTIFICATION_DATA feature helps hardware implementations by telling them directly how many descriptors are available in the ring, saving speculative reads. There is a related issue with interrupts: As things stand, after writing 'used' descriptors into the ring (packed or split) the device has to read the event idx to determine whether a device-to-driver notification (interrupt) is needed.

It would be very helpful to a hardware implementation if the event idx could be written directly to the device. Has anyone proposed an extension to address this already? (I have some thoughts on how to do this if we don't have a proposal yet).

Best,
David