Subject: Minutes from Virtio BoF at KVM Forum

Hi,

I took some notes during the BoF. Please correct me if I got something
wrong or missed something:

* Participants liked idea of weekly(?) "snapshots"/drafts of the VIRTIO spec
 in PDF format that are also versioned in some way
* If there is interest in a regular VIRTIO call or IRC meeting let MST
 know. There is also a "DPDK-Virtio" call which happens monthly and is
 currently used both to discuss implementation progress and questions
 about Virtio in general. Maybe we could just rename it to "Virtio
 call"?.
* Virtio 1.1 could be released now if someone states that they like it
 as is. Otherwise we will fix some more things and do it in a few
 weeks.
* A question was raised how to get a new feature into the spec. MST
 explained the process. Request a feature bit via a
 patch to the mailing list, create github issue, discuss, ask for
ballot. * someone from OpenSynergy reported that Virtio is used heavily in the
 automotive industry and that there is work being done on virtio-audio
* status update on vDPA by Steve
* status update on failover by Sameeh
* brief discussion about what would be needed to save more pci
 transactions with packed virtqueues for hardware implementations. I
 don't remember many details, agreed to have further discussion on
 mailing list.

regards,
Jens