Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] RFC: Doorbell suppression, packed-ring mode and hardware offload

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:40:25AM +0000, David Riddoch wrote:

> [...]
> hit this bottleneck the only evidence you have that it is happening is that
> certain instructions (such as doorbells) take a very long time.  The tx
> virt-queue doesn't fill because the NIC and link are not bottlenecked, so
> you can't spot it that way.
>
> You could measure send rate over an interval and defer doorbells if sending
> at a high rate, but that adds the cost/complexity of timers (to ensure a
> deferred doorbell is sent reasonably promptly), and you could still hit the
> bottleneck transiently without triggering the avoidance measures.
>
> > Also I thought some more about this. In fact on x86/intel specifically
> > PCI descriptor reads are atomic with cache line granularity
> > and writes are ordered. So in fact you can safely prefetch
> > descriptors and if you see them valid, you can go ahead
> > and use them.
> >
> > This makes the descriptor index merely a hint for performance,
> > which device can play with at will.
> >
> > Other platforms are not like this so you need the data
> > but do they have the same problem?
>
> Yes this proposal is just about performance.  I have no data on other
> processor types.

> > > Yes, IN_ORDER will give some of the benefit of packed ring, and is also a
> > > win because you can merge 'used' writes.  (But packed-ring still wins due to
> > > not having to fetch ring and descriptor table separately).

> > > I would prefer to have the write barrier before writing the idx.
> > Well that's driver overhead for something device might never utilise in
> > a given workload. If we are optimizing let's optimize for speed.
>
> I think doing the barrier before writing idx is best for speed (see below).
> But it is really desirable for complexity: Cases like this are easy to
> handle in software, but much much harder in pipelined hardware
> implementations.
>
> > > Note that drivers could take advantage of this feature to avoid read
> > > barriers when consuming descriptors: At the moment there is a virtio_rmb()
> > > per descriptor read.  With the proposed feature the driver can do just one
> > > barrier after reading idx.
> > Oh you want device to write a used index too? Hmm. Isn't this
> > contrary to your efforts to consume PCIe BW?
>
> Sorry I mistyped: I meant that PV devices can take advantage to avoid read
> barriers.  I am not suggesting that devices write an index.
>
> > > I expect that on platforms where write barriers
> > > have a cost read barriers likely have a significant cost too, so this might
> > > be a win with PV devices too.
> > I'm not sure.  It is pretty easy to replace an rmb with a dependency
> > which is generally quite cheap in my testing.
> >
> > But since it's supposed to benefit PV, at this point we already have
> > implementations so rather than speculate (pun intended), people can
> > write patches and experiment.
>
> From my point of view the primary benefit is for hardware implementations.
> I hope that demonstrating improved PV performance would not be a hard gate.

Probably not. I am saying it might make sense to test the specific
interface to make sure it's in a form that is good for PV.

> > For the proposed avail idx I think Jason (CC'd) was interested in adding
> > something like this for vhost.

> > > Yes on non-x86.  The extra data structure only adds an ordering once per
> > > request (when enabled) whereas allowing prefetch would add an ordering per
> > > descriptor.  The number of descriptors is always >= the number of requests,
> > > and can be much larger (esp. for a net rx virt-queue).
> > Question is, is MMIO also slow on these non-x86 platforms?
> >
> > Prefetch if successful just drastically lowers latency. You can't beat
> > not needing a read at all.
>
> Are you talking about net rx?  Yes, devices can prefetch descriptors from rx
> virt-queues ahead of packets arriving.  That does not require any changes to
> the spec.

net tx too.

> I was just making the point that allowing random reads of packed-ring
> descriptors adds ordering costs when writing descriptors.  I can't see what
> the benefit would be -- have I missed something?

So on x86 there's no extra ordering cost if you just write
the flags last since write barriers are not needed.

> > > The event suppression structs currently require 4byte align.  Are you
> > > suggesting we increase the align required when
> > > VIRTIO_F_RING_PACKED_AVAIL_IDX is negotiated?  Sounds good to me, but 8bytes
> > > would presumably suffice.
> > OK.
> >
> > I am also wondering: what would the analog of this feature be for split
> > rings? We are burning a feature bit, might as well find a good
> > use for it.
>
> I don't have any suggestions.  I worry that associating the same bit with a
> split-ring feature would create an undesirable coupling: A device offering X
> for packed-ring would also necessarily have to implement Y for split-ring
> and vice versa (if both ring types are supported).

Well if it's a reasonably logical coupling then it makes sense.
Like e.g. IN_ORDER. If it's a random thing then sure.