Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Memory sharing device

In implementing a complete graphics system, shared memory objects may transcend device boundaries.

Consider for example, Android and gralloc. The media codec versus the GPU rendering are commonly considered as separate devices, but they work better if operating on a common shared memory type (gralloc buffers).

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:27 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 01:16:39PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > somehow? I.e., should there be a standard way to send Shmid/offset/size to
> > other devices, or have that be a standard struct in the hypervisor?
>
> That I don't know how to do - because then you need a way to
> associate different devices.
>
> Dave

We could come up with a way maybe but why? Are there so many devices?

--
MST