Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Request for a new device number for a virtio-audio device.

Hi Gerd,

thank you for your feedback and sorry for the late reply.

   Hi,

It's possible to enquiry the virtio-audio device about the host capabilities
at this time but I'm not sure how to implement this in every audio backend
of qemu (alsa, pulse, oss, coreaudio, dsound, ...)
It is probably a good idea to coordinate this with KÅvÃgà ZoltÃn (Cc'ed)
who has a stack of patches to rework the qemu audio configuration.  The
first batch (adding -audiodev command line switch) has been merged in
4.1, the remaining bits will hopefully follow in 4.2.  The not-yet
merged patches include:

   (1) linking guest sound cards to host backends.
   (2) 5.1 support (IIRC: usb-audio and pa + alsa backends).
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I'll make sure to look at his work.
In general looking: following current qemu capabilities too closely when
designing a virtio spec is a bad idea, we don't want have qemu
implementation details baked in there ...
I absolutely agree. While my desire is to work on qemu the specifications must be agnostic.
Another thing to consider is that the host may have multiple sound cards.
For example I have three sound cards at the moment, an integrated one with
stereo at max 96kHZ, a dedicated one with 7.1 surround up to 192kHz and my
video card has HDMI audio out (not sure of the specs).

What can be considered a valid configuration in this scenario?
If you want allow your guest use all three sound cards, then you
probably want create three sound cards in the guest too, each with
different capabilities and linked to one of the host devices.

I don't really agree here, I don't see why I have to tie a virtual soundcard 1-to-1 to a real soundcard.

While the guest will support multiple virtio-audio cards what I imagine as a common scenario is something like the following.

The guest see one virtio-audio card.

On the host I open pavucontrol (just an example) and set the default output to my internal sound card, where I have my headset attached.

On the guest I open my browser and listen to some music in stereo.

After a while I want to see a movie, I launch my movie player and in pavucontrol I switch the output to my external 7.1 amplifier.

Then I have to call a friend on skype, again I switch to my headset and as an input I select an usb microphone I just connected to my linux box.

All of this without touching the VM configuration.

This exact scenario is possible. It is what I have already done in Scream and it's working very well.

Having a 1-to-1 map between host sound cards and virtio-audio sound cards just seems inconvenient. You attached a plug and play soundcard? Too bad. Stop your VM, add a new device, restart.. No, I don't really want that.

Another possibility is that the user can configure the virtio-audio device
with the capabilities that he want to expose to the guest, regardless if the
host really support them or not. What do you think?
Not a good idea.  We don't want qemu do audio processing.

I don't want qemu to do audio processing either. It's not its job.

Having virtio-audio support configuration that the host sound card doesn't support doesn't mean that qemu have to do the audio processing.

Imagine this scenario. In a windows VM I can run some professional digital audio workstation software that currently don't support linux.

I can set these software to work with whatever settings I want (say, 192kHz, floating point, 8 channels).

Virtio-audio will be able to transport the resulting PCM stream from the VM to the host unaltered, where for example JACK will take it and route them to, say, Ardour.

I don't need the host sound card support here. I really don't care if it can't play this stream directly.

As another example, I can have a virtio-audio with 10 input channels, and with JACK I can map different sources from the host to different channels to work on my audio workstation in the windows VM.

This will open the door to professional uses that are currently not possible.

Yes, in the end something will have to do the resampling, but that can be my linux DAW (eg. Ardour), or JACK, or Pulseaudio or anything. It will be up to the user to route the stream where he wants.

  It already
does to (it can resample audio data in case there is a sample rate
mismatch between guest and host), but we certainly don't want extend
that.
Agree.
Another idea is that the user may want to record the stream to process it
later. It doesn't matter if the host audio card is not capable of
reproducing it. The host may not even have a sound card in this case.
There already is a backend writing the guest audio stream to a wav file.
Yes, I didn't explain it very well, sorry. I wasn't really thinking of writing this to a wav file but routing to professional audio tools like in the example above.
I guess the simple answer is that users can attach as many virtio-audio
devices as they want with different configurations but I'll look around to
see if there is any benefit in having multiple input or output in the same
device.
One advantage I see with multiple inputs/outputs on a single device is
that synchronization will probably easier that way.

On the other hand supporting multiple outputs doesn't seem to be a
feature people want use, I can't remember any requests for that.
Yeah, I thought about it and I don't think it's a common use case. That said I can see a few uses for it. For example, I can set a virtio-audio card with 2 outputs and 1 input and set in my VM, say, spotify to output 2 and skype on output 1 and input 1. On the host I can set the output of spotify to one soundcard, say, a bluetooth speaker in the room next door while I can skype chat with a friend on the headset.

Nowdays most softwares can remember the assigned input/output devices, so I can set this once and forget about it.

As a general note, I see virtio-audio as a generic interface to transfer PCM streams in and out of the VM. I don't want to limit it or tying it too much to a particular system or backend.
I want it to be simple and flexible.
I'm sure the end users will imagine use cases that I can't even think about now. Maybe they'll be bizarre configurations, who knows, but I certainly don't want to limit them.

I think we agree that the specification should be independent of the end system.

The qemu device that will implement this specification is a specific implementation but now we don't really have to care what it will do with the streams it will receive from the guest. It can send them to /dev/null for all I care. For the sake of the specification I think we need to focus on is how to transport these streams and how to share a configuration for each one.

How the stream will be handled by the host it's a matter of implementation in the qemu device (or whatever other software will implement this spec) and that's out of the scope of the specification.

Or at least this is how I think a specification should work, but please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to all of this.

cheers,
   Gerd

Regards,
Marco