Subject: Re: guest / host buffer sharing ...

> (1) The virtio device
> =====================
>
> Has a single virtio queue, so the guest can send commands to register
> and unregister buffers.  Buffers are allocated in guest ram.  Each buffer
> has a list of memory ranges for the data. Each buffer also has some

Allocating from guest ram would work most of the time, but I think
it's insufficient for many use cases. It doesn't really support things
such as contiguous allocations, allocations from carveouts or <4GB,
protected buffers, etc.

> properties to carry metadata, some fixed (id, size, application), but

What exactly do you mean by application?

> also allow free form (name = value, framebuffers would have
> width/height/stride/format for example).

Is this approach expected to handle allocating buffers with
hardware-specific constraints such as stride/height alignment or
tiling? Or would there need to be some alternative channel for
determining those values and then calculating the appropriate buffer
size?

-David